cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help!!! Computer No Longer Turn On - Not even MB LEDs are lit

dedaciai
Level 10
Hi Everyone,

I went to bed last night after a few rounds of BF3 and working on emails using my rig (see specs below). I came home for lunch and nothing turns on not even the MB LEDs. I plugged it directly into a wall outlet, but nothing. I am kind of freaking out because I am not sure what happened. We did have a storm here last night, but nothing, and I mean nothing, went out last night and everything plugged directly into a wall outlet works just fine. Even the other two items plugged into the same surge protector works just fine. Also, all of my peripherals work fine too. Only my comp is dead.

Do you guys have any ideas what it might be? I can't possibly afford to replace a PSU, MB, CPU, GC right now.

Also, I don't have another rig to test any of my parts in to see if anything still works - Ugh!!!

****UPDATE AS OF 05/21/2013**** I had my CPU, RAM, and PSU checked out at my local shop and all worked fine. For good measure I picked up a brand new Asus 660 Direct CU(nice looking card BTW). I installed all of them and NOTHING, just a blinking CPU led light. I checked and rechecked everything. The second board is now back in the RMA process:-(

I have to say that ASUS NA customer service is prompt and courteous (good job, Asus! ), but all I really want now is working MB. PLEASE 😞 It seems like these boards have a high rate of return (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-805&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&Pu...****End of Update***

***Update 06/07/2013*** So, after the receiving my second RMA'd board it finally works. However, I am VERY dissappointed and exhausted at this point. The EMF shield on this board is missing and the 4th pin on the CPU opt fan header and the CHA 2 fan header were both bent pretty badly. Luckily, bending a fan header pin back is easy. I am done RMA'ing board unless this one goes belly up too. I say this with a heavy heart, but I think I am done with Asus MBs too. With all due respect, how can the person let a MB leave the facility after the second repair on the same board and not see the missing EMF shield and bent pins? I saw them immediately. I plan on talking to CS service...again about this, but don't have the time or energy to do so at this time. Ugh! Below is a photo of the missing EMF shield.

Here is a link of a pic of where the emf shield should be. http://rog.asus.com/58902012/rampage-iv-motherboards/rampage-iv-gene-extensive-overview/

***End of 06/07/2013 Update****

Very sad ,

Dedaciai

My Current (05/04/2013) Rig Specs:

Intel Core 3930K
Asus Rampage IV Gene
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
EVGA GTX 570 SC
Corsair H100 (p)
Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @ 1600MHz
EVGA NEX750G
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus Xonar Phoebus
Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
Enermax 1350W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
21 REPLIES 21

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry to hear that dedaciai.

I guess the obvious question would be the PSU....do you have another around to test?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Remove all your PSU connectors and refit them. Check the power cable to your PSU too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

dedaciai
Level 10
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your input.

I tried jumping a fan with the paper clip in the green and black wire trick and the fan runs. I tried it with the VC and got nothing...do you guys think this the MB went belly up?

I don't see any blown mosfets for capacitors either. Ugh!

Oh, and I also tried a brand new Corsair AX760 in my system and it did not work either....blown MB?

Dedaciai
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Enermax 1350W PSU

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It does sound that way unfortunately. Have you tried leaving it with no power connected and no battery in it for a few hours. And maybe try starting up with only one stick of RAM no disk drives and minimum connections....keyboard and mouse. Try switching BIOS chips?

But if no response you might have to send it off..:(

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your motherboard is in need of RMA I am sad to say.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

dedaciai
Level 10
Hi Everyone,

Sooooo...I got my MB back and all seems well. The lights turn on and stuff, but when I try to power it up, it tries to power up, but then quits and all that happens is the CPU led light on the MB keeps flashing. I made sure that my ram is seat well and that the CPU power cable is in and both are fine. Do you think that the when the MB failed it took the CPU with it too?

Thanks in advance.

Dedaciai
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Enermax 1350W PSU

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
That's a possibility mate, can you take the CPU to a local shop to test? sorry to hear your system went belly up

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
That's a possibility mate, can you take the CPU to a local shop to test? sorry to hear your system went belly up

That is my plan. Luckily, I live in Atlanta, GA US which is big city...the problem is actually getting people on the horn who know what they are talking about. I am almost to the point of just picking up a 3820 and throwing it in there and seeing what happens. And of course, as Murphy's law would have it, I really, really need my rig this week for work stuff.

Do any of you know if I could get Intel to warranty the CPU?

A few more things. The GPU fan tries to spin so I would assume that it works, but what about the RAM? Do you think it took the RAM with it too? I would hate to get a working CPU and then get the RAM LED blinking lol...just my luck!

Thanks again for your help Myk SilentShadow.

Dedaciai
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Enermax 1350W PSU

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
The only way to find out mate, is to take the CPU and RAM to a local shop and have them test the parts, of course if you have a friend close by who is willing to test for you, that's a bonus too 🙂