cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pentium G3258 with Maximus VI Gene help?

battlechimera
Level 7
Hi, im new here, and I guess its fair to say that im "new" to building computers, the last time I was into it AM3 was what I was building on.
So I have a Maximus VI gene, and a Pentium G2358. I was wondering if Its going to work with my mobo. I heard I may have to update the bios, but my real question is if there is any way to do that without a supported haswell cpu? the only intel cpu I have is the g2358.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been out of the building scene for so long I have little idea what to do.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hello battlechimera

Welcome to the ROG forum !

The G3258 is a haswell cpu and is socket 1150 so it is compatible with the maximus vi gene. You only need to update the bios on z-87 boards if you're using a haswell devils canyon cpu. But you can still update the bios without a cpu using a usb flash drive and bios flashback.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

If you're going to be gaming you should look at a quad core cpu.

Thank you! Yeah I know I'm gonna need a better cpu but this is a super tight budget build and that cpu was given to me by a friend, I plan on going quad eventually, but I need to stay within my budget right now, so I think im just going to overclock it a bit until I can afford it. First intel build, Used to be an AMD fanboy, trying something new haha. Do you have a reccomendation on some good memory for this board? I know about the QVL but all that memory is only 1333, and thats not going to cut it I dont think when I upgrade the cpu. Thanks, you've been more than helpful!

Nate152