cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheating (Fan Issue?)

Wakeeta
Level 7
Hi All,
My G73JH-RBBX05 is having moderate to severe overheating problems. I'm idling at 80 degrees celsius, and overheating during any and all games despite an external fan and propping the laptop off of the table, and cleaning the vents out. I sent my G73 out for an RMA about a year back now and they did what they called a "thermal overhaul" in which they claimed to have repasted, installed new heatsinks and replaced fans. Despite this the laptop quickly returned to it's overheating issues soon after it's return to me. Would a bad repaste job cause such high idle temps? Also, my right (looking from the front of the laptop) rear fan seems to be working alright, however my left rear fan doesn't seem to be doing anything at all (in comparison to the right).

Basically what I am wondering is should I send this back to ASUS or should I attempt to remedy this myself either through a local repair shop or via my own handiwork? Thanks for any information regarding my issue.

Thanks,
Wakeeta
3 REPLIES 3

Zka17
Level 16
The question is that if you still have warranty on it? Taking it apart and do some work in it would easily cause the loss of warranty...

If you're concerned about that fan, I think, you could use some monitoring softwares to assess it's function. Maybe, even in the BIOS you could find something... There are also softwares to modify fan's function (their rotational speed) - you also could try some before you would take it apart.

Zka17 wrote:
The question is that if you still have warranty on it? Taking it apart and do some work in it would easily cause the loss of warranty...

If you're concerned about that fan, I think, you could use some monitoring softwares to assess it's function. Maybe, even in the BIOS you could find something... There are also softwares to modify fan's function (their rotational speed) - you also could try some before you would take it apart.

Warranty is expired, I took the laptop apart following the BTOtech video guide and managed to clean some dust caught between the rear fins and the fans. This, coupled with the removal of the shoulder piece over my battery/vent are has led me to a ten degree decrease in temps, still not enough (idling around 70 celsius) but it helps. If you could direct me to any of the monitoring software you mentioned for my fans in this laptop it would be much appreciated. Every program I've tried can't seem to read my fan speeds.
Thanks,
Wakeeta

Zka17
Level 16
You could try SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php). I did use it in desktops, but have no experience in laptops - and right now I don't have a pc laptop to try it... You also could read this: http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/laptopstabletpcs/f/how-to-check-laptop-temperature.htm