cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking with ROG TurboV EVO save?

Arniebomba
Level 9
Hi,

Was was wondering, how far does the TurboV EVO program OC?
I started the program and it was eventually going towards 4,9Ghz, though the temps started to rise towards 85celcius.
Does the program monitor the temperatures? And if it does, shouldnt it stop anywhere near 80c?
I'm currently having a
i5 2500K
Maximus Gene-Z
Antec Kuhler 620
GTX580 Matrix
16GB Corsair 1600
800Watt Corsair

I now stopped at 4,6Ghz at 70c max. But i'm just curious about how the program works in terms of safety.
14 REPLIES 14

Idonno
Level 10
With ROG TurboV EVO you are completely free to FRY your system. Other than the safety features incorporated into your CPU (which aren't great but certainly better than nothing) you are in control.

With over clocking you are going past manufacturers specs. Another wards they warned you and you choose to ignore them. So the only safety features you have left in place are the ones you set. These could include a temp warning alarm or just how far you decide to push something but you have already been told where to stop and you ignored them because you think you know better!

So don't be looking for your OC utility's to stop you. You are past that!

Don't get me wrong, I like overclocking but, you are taking risks so you need to have a pretty good Idea of what your doing. The only parachute you might have is the one you might make for yourself!:cool:
Asus Rampage III Formula / Intel Core i7-980X / CORSAIR Hydro H70 CPU Cooler / 24GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 1600 / Asus OC station / 2 X Radeon HD 6870 in CrossFire / 2 X Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 / 4 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400 RPM in raid 5 / ASUS Blu-ray Burner / ASUS 24X DVD Burner / CORSAIR 1000W Modular PSU / Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Case / 3 X Asus VE248H Black 24" LCD Monitors for Eyefinity

Not really an answer to my question, but thanks for the reply.

Still looking forward to see a responce from the ROG members.

Regards

Arniebomba wrote:
Not really an answer to my question, but thanks for the reply.

Still looking forward to see a responce from the ROG members.

Regards

Well we are all ROG members. You, Me and anyone else that joins this forum. I assume you meant Moderator.

As far as not answering your question(s), I believe I was very clear, concise, to the point and very blunt. I wasn't blunt to be rude, I was blunt because there is no good way to to describe what over clocking is and the possible negative outcomes in a clear unadulterated way without being blunt and still be honest with the one asking the question(s).

Just like a race car driver is willing to risk destroying his car (and more) to win a race, there are overclockers willing to run liquid nitrogen and risk their hardware to win a competition. Both sports can be fatal to your personal property!

The best defense against damage to your PC is knowledge, learn everything you can about OC'ing then practice don't jump right up to 4.9GHz start a little at a time and see the effects while running stress tests like Prime95 or IntelBurnTest.

If your CPU temps are too high improve your cooling or lower you CPU's voltage. TurboV EVO won't do this for you. With the exception of the mild OC's you get with TurboV EVOs level up stuff, your OC is all about what you do and set in bios or whatever OC utility you use.

Other than crashing or your CPU throttling down because YOU let it get to hot, YOU are your only fail-safe.

If you want to know what TurboV's limits are slide the sliders all the way to the right just DON'T click apply, but the quick answer is it goes high enough to destroy things.

You bought a ROG motherboard. They are great motherboads but, like many race cars it's not just made to preform great and go as fast as you want. It's made to go faster than you want, so you have to be the limiting factor.

If you just want to be safe, just run everything within manufacturers specs and you will still have a great MB. Albeit a little overkill. But if your a little more adventurous like me, have fun overclocking!

P.S. I hope you don't find any of what I wrote rude or condescending, it's not meant to be. After all none of us knew anything until we did! Good luck! :cool:
Asus Rampage III Formula / Intel Core i7-980X / CORSAIR Hydro H70 CPU Cooler / 24GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 1600 / Asus OC station / 2 X Radeon HD 6870 in CrossFire / 2 X Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 / 4 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400 RPM in raid 5 / ASUS Blu-ray Burner / ASUS 24X DVD Burner / CORSAIR 1000W Modular PSU / Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Case / 3 X Asus VE248H Black 24" LCD Monitors for Eyefinity

Idonno wrote:
Well we are all ROG members. You, Me and anyone else that joins this forum. I assume you meant Moderator.

As far as not answering your question(s), I believe I was very clear, concise, to the point and very blunt. I wasn't blunt to be rude, I was blunt because there is no good way to to describe what over clocking is and the possible negative outcomes in a clear unadulterated way without being blunt and still be honest with the one asking the question(s).

Just like a race car driver is willing to risk destroying his car (and more) to win a race, there are overclockers willing to run liquid nitrogen and risk their hardware to win a competition. Both sports can be fatal to your personal property!

The best defense against damage to your PC is knowledge, learn everything you can about OC'ing then practice don't jump right up to 4.9GHz start a little at a time and see the effects while running stress tests like Prime95 or IntelBurnTest.

If your CPU temps are too high improve your cooling or lower you CPU's voltage. TurboV EVO won't do this for you. With the exception of the mild OC's you get with TurboV EVOs level up stuff, your OC is all about what you do and set in bios or whatever OC utility you use.

Other than crashing or your CPU throttling down because YOU let it get to hot, YOU are your only fail-safe.

If you want to know what TurboV's limits are slide the sliders all the way to the right just DON'T click apply, but the quick answer is it goes high enough to destroy things.

You bought a ROG motherboard. They are great motherboads but, like many race cars it's not just made to preform great and go as fast as you want. It's made to go faster than you want, so you have to be the limiting factor.

If you just want to be safe, just run everything within manufacturers specs and you will still have a great MB. Albeit a little overkill. But if your a little more adventurous like me, have fun overclocking!

P.S. I hope you don't find any of what I wrote rude or condescending, it's not meant to be. After all none of us knew anything until we did! Good luck! :cool:

First of all: I am the idiot! I7-3820 on a sabertooth x79 and I use Turbov Evo and I pushed all the sliders far to the right and I clicked apply!

At first the system hang. Restarted it and worked. But stupidly repeated and now the red cpu led is on, no booting into BIOS possible. Tried to flash the BIOS via USB, clear RTC RAM, memory ok switch, take out cpu and put it back........ Still the same. The red cpu led is a steady reminder of my stupidity. I obviously fried my cpu and I can only hope that I did not fry the mobo.

To all my dear "have no idea what oc is - let's do it!" Colleagues: let this be a warning to you!!

He was not rude at all explaining the dear consequences of lightly using turbov - he just explained what happens if we think we can take a shortcut to heaven.

I also do not blame ASUS. I used a lot of stuff from them and it never failed me. Only thing I would recommend is to put extreme warnings in that program for numbnuts like me. Yes, there are warnings. But the thing is that you get so many warnings and never ever something happens. So most of the people tend to automatically click over them. A red flashing warning would be good with big font telling that "you are in high risk to fry your system".

For me the only positive thing is: now I get a better cpu......let's hope my stupidity will not be the excuse for a new mobo as well. Man, I could bite my own ass!!!

Update: Got an I7 4930K and was lucky that the mobo wasn't fried too. That is so fast that I do not need OC. Uninstalled turbov to be save....need to study oc first before I touch that again...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello

The program is best thought of as a way of doing things that normally would be done in the BIOS - in the OS.

So the same restrictions apply, if you apply a setting that is not possible in BIOS your system does not boot. In Os if you apply a setting that your system can not handle the PC will freeze or BSOD. In other words it fails to stay in OS, and would have failed to boot if those settings had been applied in the BIOS.

Fail safes and safeguarding, your system has built in safeguards yes. Those are manifest by the BSOD, by the system freezing. That is the processor telling you it can not do what you have asked of it.

The AIsuite does not act as a handbrake to your overclock.

If that is not answering what your questions are, could you please rephrase them. I might not have understood what you are asking. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Really well written piece there Idonno if I could rep you I would.

Bravo
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you!

Thanks HiVizMan and Idonno, I definitely appreciate your help!

What i ment is that i know the basic principles of overclocking. But if someone would only use the TurboV button to overclock, will the program look at the same things you should look if you're OCíng in BIOS. This question has been answered, though i'm still qurious if the program looks at the temperatures. (but maybe thats what you ment by "handbrake")

Arniebomba wrote:
This question has been answered, though i'm still qurious if the program looks at the temperatures. (but maybe thats what you ment by "handbrake")

Yes, Open "AI Suite II" click on tool then " Probe II" in the top of the Probe II screen you will see some tabs, select temperature.

You will see Temps for: CPU and MB. Just to the right of the temps you will see sliders. You can adjust these sliders to the threshold (max) temp. you want that particular idem to reach before you get a warning pop-up on your screen.

This can be a helpful tool for monitoring temps and giving you a warning, however it does not do anything to lower temps. It just alerts you to the situation and lets you decide what action to take. :cool: