cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking I7-7700K on Maximus IX Hero. Stuck at 4.8 GHz.

bfollowell
Level 9
I finally took the plunge and started working on overclocking my system. I have an ROG Maximus IX Hero motherboard with an I7-7700K processor. I got to 4.8 GHz fairly easily and my system is really stable and my CPU temps only reach about 69 C. When I try to bump up to 4.9 GHz, everything gets really flaky, really fast. I'm lucky to even get Windows 10 to load completely before the system locks up and, even when I do, I usually make it only a couple of minutes. Temps still don't look bad, when I can last long enough to actually load Core Temp. It's just super unstable.

What would you guys suggest I start tweaking first to see if I can go up anymore an gain some stability? My VCore is at 1.30 V currently. I was thinking I'd start bumping voltage up by 0.01 or 0.02, to see if that helped any.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
If the system is that unstable you'll need to bump in 20mV increments at least.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

bfollowell
Level 9
What is the max VCore I should consider? 1.36?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
On that CPU, cap at 1.4v. Just don't let temps exceed 85c where possible.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JustinThyme
Level 13
Also keep in mind that not all chips can get to 5 GHz. I got mine to 5.2 with 1.385

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

bfollowell
Level 9
I think I have it fairly stable at 4.9 GHz with 1.360 V and CPU temps around 77 C. I've been running Prime95 for over an hour with 100% CPU usage with no hiccups. I think I'll leave it here for a few days and maybe try some gaming and real-world applications and see how things go. I may try to push on up to 5.0 GHz later.