cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking beginner needs some advice

isaactwn
Level 8
Hi all,

This is my first time to overclock my new rig.

I just got an AMD 5800x after waiting for three months. I have Dark Hero mobo.

I tried many different manual/auto options and I cannot get past 4.6G for all-core OC.

I tried VCore Offset and set the value to "Auto". The VCore shot up to over 1.6V. I was worried about the degrading of my CPU though.

After spending the whole week and weekend in OC, I ended up with a satifactory OC at both single-core and all-core. The JPG shows the result in Cinebench R23.

I would like to have any suggestions and advices to put the performance further.

Thanks,
GTDragon
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Overclocking on this platform is quite limited. Enable DOCP and PBO and use the system as you intended. You can experiment with curve optimiser which can be found under the AMD Overclocking menu. Aim for a negative value to reduce voltage. High voltage at low load is normal on this architecture, if you're monitoring you should see the vcore drops substantially under high current loads. It is current that degrades chips quickly.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Overclocking on this platform is quite limited. Enable DOCP and PBO and use the system as you intended. You can experiment with curve optimiser which can be found under the AMD Overclocking menu. Aim for a negative value to reduce voltage.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did enable DOCP to overclock my RAM from C16-3600 to C16-4000, and enable PBO and curve optimizer. I left everything else to Auto and it gives me pretty stable performance.

I did try to tweak different setting manually but the system is not stable either under all-core or single-core OC though.

Thanks,
GTDragon

isaactwn wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I did enable DOCP to overclock my RAM from C16-3600 to C16-4000, and enable PBO and curve optimizer. I left everything else to Auto and it gives me pretty stable performance.

I did try to tweak different setting manually but the system is not stable either under all-core or single-core OC though.

Thanks,
GTDragon

Yes, pushing things to the limit is the overclockers disposition, but there isn't much headroom here sadly. You can experiment with some third party tuning tools, however these often impact single threaded workloads.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

isaactwn wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,
GTDragon

I find 'tweaking' to be an endless source of fun and educating too, especially if you can actually see the benefit in performance. As noted, Ryzen's have very little conventional overclocking headroom because of how the boosting algorithm works so that way of doing it winds up just being frustrating.

But that doesn't mean you have to stop tweaking. There's a lot you can do with PBO and the curve optimizer...

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-power-curve-optimizer-guide-zen-3

and a very good youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0

I like wasting time by tweaking at my setup too, i only wish I had a 5000 (I have a 3700x) to see just how this one works.