cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking a new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU

Banditt1976
Level 8
I have a newly upgraded system with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU and ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard. This is my first venture into overclocking an AMD processor. I know how to set the OC in the BIOS for all cores: currently I have it set to 4300 MHz with PBO on which keeps all cores at the same speed with no single core boost anymore. Is there a way to raise the base clock to 4300 MHz and still keep the single core boost at the default 4800 MHz or higher at the same time? I have a Thermaltake AIO cooler for the CPU which keeps idle temps around 48 C and can handle a lot of all-core load tested using Cinebench r23.
12 REPLIES 12

r9 5900x cpu
asus rog stix 3070ti 8gb oc gpu
asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi
COUGAR MX660 MESH RGB 4x120mm RGB MESH GEX 850W 80PLUS GOLD MidT ATX
Lian Li Galahad 240mm ARGB All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooler

How do you think I can overclock the processor, graphics card and ram in this system? Not for rendering, just to improve game performance. because the monitor I use has a refresh rate of 280 hz and is in 1080p resolution. I need to get better performance to feel 280hz in fps games like pubg, so I want to overclock. may I help you?

Fatih55 wrote:
Hello to everyone,
I also have a 5900x processor. i just want to make pbo or oc to improve game performance. Which would you recommend and how would I do it? It was mentioned that there is a video on youtube can anyone give a link? I also use 2x16gb pny xlr8 brand 3600mhz cl 18 ram. how do i do oc for ram. Thank you in advance for those who reply.

I used this guide and am getting 5Ghz+ with a 5800x on a C7H MB. All the settings can be changed under the advanced /amd overclocking tab of the BIOS. I've also found a couple of articles and threads that talk more in depth about what each of the settings actually do but this is a nice jumping off point.
Note: I have a geothermal water cooling system that has the capacity to remove all the heat my rig is capable of producing. So YMMV.
https://albertherd.com/2021/01/16/overclocking-your-zen-3-ryzen-5000-with-precision-boost-overdrive-...

Legolas
Level 9
I think it is easier to overclock with Ryzen Master.
I just adjust manual mode, and set the single core you want 4300Mhz and drag it up to 4300Mhz and set the others to 3700 with given core. I remember I overclick that way and it worked for me.

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf
Sincerely,
Legolas