cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclock / Tweaking Memory

Denna
Level 11
Can anyone recommend settings to overclock / tweak memory ?

Current configuration:

• Maximus VI Gene (BIOS 1603)
  • 4790K overclocked to 5 GHz
  • BCLK=102
  • Corsair 2 x 4 GB CMT8GX3M2B2133C9 at 1.65v with 9-11-10-27-1 timings running at 2176 MHz

12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hello Denna

You could try 10-12-12-30-2 timings and see if it can do 2400MHz, I'm not sure you'd gain much by loosening the timings though.

If it can do 2400MHz see how far you can go. Past 2400MHz you might need to increase the cpu system agent voltage a little.

Denna
Level 11
Nate152,

A DRAM Frequency of 2133 MHz is possible with:

• CPU Strap = 125
  • BCLK = 100
  • DRAM Frequency Ratio = Auto
  • DRAM Voltage = 1.65

A DRAM Frequency of 2175 MHz is possible with:

• CPU Strap = 125
  • BCLK = 102
  • DRAM Frequency Ratio = Auto
  • DRAM Voltage = 1.65

A DRAM Frequency of 2244 MHz is possible with:

• CPU Strap = 125
  • BCLK = 102
  • DRAM Frequency Ratio = 100:100
  • DRAM Voltage = 1.65

What settings can I try to determine if 2240 MHz is the maximum DRAM Frequency ?

Nate152
Is this with 9-11-10-27 timings?

Try the cpu system agent voltage @ 1.20v and see if it lets you go higher with the frequency, if it doesn't then you'll have to start loosening the timings.

At the top of the timings page set maximus tweak to mode 2 this can help with overclocking ram.

In the DIGI+ try ram current capability to 130% - 140% or as high as it will let you go.

Denna
Level 11
Nate152,

The System Agent was ~.84v and I added .35v to it, but a DRAM Frequency of 2448 MHz wouldn't post.

The DRAM Current Capability was already at 130 and the Maximus Tweak was set to Mode 2.

As much as I've read about the overclocking potential of this memory, I'm not impressed with a 5% frequency improvement.

I think if the timings were loosenz, the speed would go up, but so would the latency. That would probably create a zero sum gain.

Nate152
That's a good question, the fastest ram kit with the lowest timings will always be best. From what I've read higher frequency wins but not by much.

In real world conditions you won't notice the difference. I saw you have your cpu at 5.0GHz, now that's very impressive and a nice performance boost. You'll gain a little more performance overclocking your gpu vs. your ram.

The only place you'll really notice overclocking your ram is in benchmark scores, you'll be lucky if you gain 1-2 FPS in your games overclocking your ram.

Denna
Level 11
Nate152,

I did manage to lower the DRAM Command Rate to 1 and the MemTweakIt Efficency Score went up a little bit.

I read somewhere on an ROG thread that changing DRAM READ to READ Timing to 5 might make an improvement. Unless it's called something else, the Maximus VI Gene (BIOS 1603) doesn't have that setting.

NemesisChild
Level 12
What are you hoping to gain by overclocking your memory?
Like Nate stated, a FPS increase in games will be minimal at best.
Read/write speeds will be a bit better, but even benchmark improvements will be minor.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Denna
Level 11
NemesisChild,

The greatest benefit would come from working with complex and large Excel spreadsheets where even a single variable can change hundreds of thousands of interdependent cells.

Previously, I'd disable Automatic Recalculation when multiple variables had to be changed. It's very time consuming to wait for control of the worksheet when testing a formula.

Nate152
I think what you got is pretty good, were you able to squeeze anymore out of it?