cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclock i5-8600k with some benchmarks

samuel9521
Level 7
Hi All,
I have an intel core i5-8600k overclocked to 5GHz at 1.33V, but I tested it at 1.39V @5.1GHz, and it seems to be stable.
Do you think it's safe to set this voltage for everyday usage?
Thanks in advance
32 REPLIES 32

Bronson
Level 7
Hei, thanks for posting your settings.
But i still dont reach 5ghz, thats ok then 4.9ghz is still ok.
Also i am using crucial ballistix Elite, ddr4 @3466mhz, but i only reach 3200Mhz. i lowered the timings already since they only run at 3200mhz (15 17 34). i am currently running with 1T command rate.
I also tried increasing the voltages to 1.4v but i still cannot go higher then 3200mhz?
I found out BCLK overclocking is not recommended by asus, https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93894-z270-BCLK-Overclocking
i tried it anyway, but i get lower benchmark results, so thats that for me.

samuel9521
Level 7
Crucial recommends 3466MHz with timings 16-18-18-38, command rate 2N (or 2T), at 1,35V. Have you tried these settings?

Bronson
Level 7
Wow i just put in the numbers and ran Real bench, seems to be stable so far. I will keep those settings for now and test for stability during gaming etc.
Before i only tried 3466MHz @ 16-18-18-36, command rate 2N@ 1,35V and 3466MHz @ 17-19-19-37, command rate 2N@ 1,35V and 1.4V.
If this is working i want to push them even further, i got plenty airflow in my case and temps are very low so far.

Bronson wrote:
Wow i just put in the numbers and ran Real bench, seems to be stable so far. I will keep those settings for now and test for stability during gaming etc.
Before i only tried 3466MHz @ 16-18-18-36, command rate 2N@ 1,35V and 3466MHz @ 17-19-19-37, command rate 2N@ 1,35V and 1.4V.
If this is working i want to push them even further, i got plenty airflow in my case and temps are very low so far.

Nice,
I think you shouldn't try to increase frequency, because your RAM is built to run @3466, but it could work increasing the voltage. Mine run @3866 at 1.42V, but it's their out-of-the-box speed.
You can try lowering the timings, but this process is quite long because you'll have to test every combination of timings until you reach a stable value. It took about 2 weeks for me to find stable timings.

I think you should try 15-16-16-35, 15-16-16-36, 15-15-15-36 or 15-15-15-35 (maybe they will run also at 14-16-16-34 or something like that, just look for timings of slower RAMs on the internet - slower RAMs work with lower timings).
Start increasing the voltage to a value for which the correct overclock will surely work, something like 1.43V - 1.45V, and test the timings with games or with HyperPi (I recommend you to firstly run a 32M test with it and then play games, run benchmarks, etc).

When you'll finally find stable timings, start decreasing the voltage and run the same tests of the previous step.

well 5ghz on an i5 8600k is easier than a i7 8700k, because of lack of hyperthreading. answer to the guy who stated it is tricky on an i5 to get 5ghz.

it is all about that silicon lottery, I run 5ghz at 1.2v stable, when an AVX workload kicks in the voltage goes up to 1.3 though, i run adaptive. I am a little bummed over that. and I even tried using -5 offset for avx and still 0.1v higher than I want.

I haven't tried over 5ghz yet, but I will do that later today, I hope I won the lottery, by reading you guys comments and at other forums it sure seems like it.

peace

kalle-m wrote:

it is all about that silicon lottery, I run 5ghz at 1.2v stable, when an AVX workload kicks in the voltage goes up to 1.3 though, i run adaptive. I am a little bummed over that. and I even tried using -5 offset for avx and still 0.1v higher than I want.

Well, try disabling SVID Support and set the AVX negative offset to 0, then try a manual setting of CPU voltage, without any kind of offset. You can see in my screens I posted how I set up the voltages.
Moreover, try changing the DIGI+VRM settings, maybe an high value of the CPU LLC level is the cause of that 0.1 bump in voltage that you get.

samuel9521 wrote:
Well, try disabling SVID Support and set the AVX negative offset to 0, then try a manual setting of CPU voltage, without any kind of offset. You can see in my screens I posted how I set up the voltages.
Moreover, try changing the DIGI+VRM settings, maybe an high value of the CPU LLC level is the cause of that 0.1 bump in voltage that you get.

well if I use manual voltage, everything should be fine, same voltage what ever load I throw at it, but I am going to try it anyway because im not 100% sure.

I am also going to try lowering the LLC (maximus x hero lvl 6 llc) and upping the adaptive voltage to see if the avx workload and normal load would start to come closer together. if I can have 5ghz with around 1.200 volt both avx and non avx with adaptive, im happy. the reason I want adaptive is when I watch youtube and stuff I don't want the cpu to have full speed and voltage.

thank you for your time!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
You can soak test stability by gaming, but if running into issues I'd recommend running Ramtest or HCI Memtest pro. Most games aren't known to be very intensive when it comes to the memory subsystem.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Bronson
Level 7
5ghz with 1.2v is winning the lottery, i run 4.9ghz with 1.36v/1.37v all cores and avx at 0.
By the way the ram is not stabbel with my current settings, because my games crash frequently after 30/40min playing.

Bronson wrote:
5ghz with 1.2v is winning the lottery, i run 4.9ghz with 1.36v/1.37v all cores and avx at 0.
By the way the ram is not stabbel with my current settings, because my games crash frequently after 30/40min playing.

well it started to get a little unstable after a while, but 5ghz at 1.216 seems better now. but I tried for 5.2 ghz and I didn't get it to work, I tried all the way up to 1.35 volts. could go higher on the voltage but I don't feel comfortable with the temps. i might stay at 4.7-5.0 I haven't delided or anything so temps are way higher than I want them to be.

im sorry for you not getting 5g 😞 have you tried higher switching frequency?

have you guys delided yours?