cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcklocking 780 ti

Son_of_Altair
Level 9
Hi Forum

A few questions reguarding gpu overclocking, currently running a Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780 ti at stock settings and wanting to get the most performance/dollar for it.

1. Is Gpu overclocking worth it?
2. How much performance increase can I expect on air?
3. What safe voltages and temps should I be aware of?

Note that I have a little experience with overclocking cpu's having my 4930k tuned in to 4.6GHz in offset mode.

Any help would be appreciated and my thanks in advance.
Intel 4930k i7 OC 4.6GHz Offset Mode ~ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition ~ 2x 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 10-12-12-31 ~ Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780ti ~ C: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD ~ 😧 Samsung 840 Evo 750GB SSD ~ Corsair ATX 1200i ~ Corsair 900D ~ Corsair H110 ~ 3x Corsair SP120 Red LED fans ~ 6x Corsair SP140 Red LED fans
3 REPLIES 3

Menthol
Level 14
In my opinion for any and all use except running benchmarks the 780ti is so powerful there is no gain from overclocking worth the possible instability, except maybe multiple display gaming, still the gain is very small compared to the gain of your CPU, plus you have to apply it every time you start the system or start a game and unless you have water cooling on the card heat becomes the limiting factor as heat will cause it to down clock as a safety measure

I did a light oc last night and managed to up my firestrike score by around 450 points however in reality this resulted in maybe 2-4 fps increase in performance which personally I find negligible, I think if I really want to see great performance increases either buying another card for sli or setting up a liquid cooling loop through my case
Intel 4930k i7 OC 4.6GHz Offset Mode ~ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition ~ 2x 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 10-12-12-31 ~ Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780ti ~ C: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD ~ 😧 Samsung 840 Evo 750GB SSD ~ Corsair ATX 1200i ~ Corsair 900D ~ Corsair H110 ~ 3x Corsair SP120 Red LED fans ~ 6x Corsair SP140 Red LED fans

Menthol
Level 14
Son_of_Altair,
That is exactly correct, these cards already come overclocked, are very powerful, for daily and gaming use 2-4 fps is not worth the possibility of instability and generating extra heat, only in benchmarks do a few extra points matter. drivers have improved over the last several years for sli and crossfire making the use of multiple cards a good choice if you need the extra horsepower for either high screen resolution or multiple monitors. your system is the best for multiple graphics cards, keep in mind the power requirements, your AX1200 is capable for 2 780ti's unless you overclock them very high