cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC Maximus Gene VI + 4670k - Beginners Q.

BreakFix
Level 8
Hi Peoples

Some advice if you can spare me some time please.
I am returning to desktop builds after several years of laptop, OC nowadays seems "The norm" for any self respecting tech-head so i went ahead, did some due diligance and bought the following Micro-ATX build in the hope to doing some enthusiast gaming and start some OC tinkering

- Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4Ghz
- ASUS Maximus Gene IV - latest BIOS 1301
- Dominator Platinum - 2x4GB 1866Mhz (CAS 9-10-9-27, DHX, XMP, 1.5V)
- H100i cooler (SP120) @ 27degrees idle, ~50degrees under race conditions (BF4).
The rest is just gravy.

I've reset almost all of my BIOS settings to AUTO for smooth running for the time being, no problems at this point.
I was lead to believe a quick and dirty overclock using CPU Level UP (4.2 / 4.4 / 4.6 Ghz) would quickly tell me the quality of my silicon and how well i did in the silicon lottery.

If a use CPU Level Up @ 4.2Ghz the system fails after just a few minutes of Prime95.

Am i following the wrong approach? Feel free to point me at a beginners guide but i wondered if there way anything specific for the ASUS Maximus brand. Perhaps the slightly exotic RAM timing might have tripped me up? I didn't appreciate the importance of this component but believe quality RAM would be flexible enough to do what ever was required.

Puzzled.
27 REPLIES 27

Hmm, just looking for the CPU voltage control. Any clue, in the mean time I'm looking on Google / Forums.

BreakFix
Level 8
Yep, sorry there was a buntch of seeing below what I thought was the last option window, I got lost in DIGI+ Power Controls. F10 and rebooted into windows.

BreakFix
Level 8
OK,

Prime95 is operational for a few minutes now, certainly longer then previously managed @ 4.2Ghz.
Temperatures are ~59-63 Degrees C.

Nate152
That is great Temps BreakFix. We want to see 80c or below, if it spikes to 85c while running prime95 this will be ok. Go back into your BIOS and set the cpu core voltage to 1.3v and set the cpu core ratio to 44, F10 and Enter. you will now be at 4.4 GHz. Test for stability again and monitor the temps. Open up cpu-z and see that it says 4400 MHz.

BreakFix
Level 8
So, here we are. *grin* Prime95 is churning.
4400Mhz held consistently, voltage is a 1.312v

AI Suite III reports 43 DegreeC but HWMonitor is showing 66 DegreeC after 5 minutes.
Awesomeness.

I need to go to bed, but what might be the next level up? Might the voltage increased like this become a problem?

Thanks so much Nate!

Nate152
The max safe voltage for you cpu is 1.52v. Increasing the cpu core voltage will make the cpu temp rise. So, as long as we have acceptable temps we can raise the voltage to achieve a higher overclock. I will be on tomorrow if you want to continue then.

BreakFix
Level 8
O.K. my friend, thanks for the advice on Voltages.
I may have some time tonight, what's the next batch of settings to try?

Many Thanks!

Nate152
Today, we get to see how well you did in the silicon lottery, we will slowly work up the cpu core ratio until you become unstable, then if temps allow, we can add more cpu core voltage and see how high of an overclock your cpu can achieve. All you do next is raise the cpu core ratio to 45 and test for stability. Always monitor temps when overclocking. What do you think so far, pretty easy to do it manually huh?

BreakFix
Level 8
Ah, so at x45 I had a BSOD after around 4minutes of Prime95.
Temps were around 60 DegreeC so no problems there.