Did you mean: 

OC Beginner - Trying for 5+ Ghz - Won't Boot - Enlighten Me

raider89
Level 7
System Info:
Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi
8700k (Not Delidded)
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200
Corsair H100i v2 Currently mounted roof of case blowing up and out, Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste - Just applied yesterday. Each fan is plugged into CPU_Fan / CPU_OPT, pump is plugged in AIO_PUMP. Shows little over 3000rpm.
EVGA DG87 CaseAll Fans running 100% - Pulling from front, exiting out the back and exiting out the top. (140mm fans)
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 PSU
SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 500GB SATA III
AOC U3277PWQU 32" 4k Monitor
BIOS - 1003 Once I installed the board, I installed all the updates - bios - chipset to the latest from the Asus Website.
Windows 10 x64
Resolution is set to 3840 pixels × 2160
XMP Profile sets it to 3200 speed - In Slots A2 and B2

Corsair Link shows 25-30c idle
Currently using the preset for gamer's Overclock just to be safe.
I do not currently have a video card installed - using only on-board, not sure if that could affect stability or performance - the way I could possibly see it is that without a video card a system is only so good and not as fast or smooth as one with a good video card, so maybe if would be more stable if the system had one?
(I am purchasing the GTX 1080 Ti mid Feb) Not sure just trying to give out as much thought as I can and not leave anything out.
During all the overclocking tests I tried motherboard code was always A0 before it froze it that makes any difference since it didnt see any issues on that part.

I used der8auer's guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU]Youtube Video as a starting point guide. I was able to boot 5Ghz and it ran great, temperatures we're 70's under prime95, but would hit 80's every few minutes when the test did it's thing. Then after about 30 minutes it would BSOD. Voltage is at 1.35v, not sure if I should increase the voltage a little if that would possibly make it more stable.

I was able to boot up 5100Ghz but BSOD soon as prime95 test started and was pretty hesitant booting up. I tried the 5200Ghz at 1.35v wouldnt make it past bios and freezed, changed the voltage to 1.38v made it to login screen and froze. Set to 1.40v and it made it just a little farther, and that was as far as I was pushing the voltage. Is it possible I just need to add even more voltage, like 1.45v? Im delidding it tomorrow and using liquid metal before I go higher than 1.40v, Or does it look like its pointless to delid and most likely won't get that stable anyway.

What really justifies the need for more voltage when you bsod or don't boot after overclocking? Or is it if its not stable and increasing voltage higher and higher and keeps crashing then your cpu just isn't a good one?

All my settings are exactly the same as in the video - only changes would be voltage and multiplier.

Power settings are set for Performance.

On a side note, has anyone actually used the fan mount for 40 or 50mm fan? Was thinking about using it, and would you blow at the vrm or away from it.

Memory is in the other 2 slots, changed it after these pictures after I seen that's what they recommend.

This is my case im currently using, no longer have internals shown.
5 REPLIES 5

quark54
Level 8
Yes, it's just more voltage required. Not all CPU's are created equally. We refer to it as the silicone lottery.

De8auer's CPU may overclock great to 5 GHz at 1.35 volts, but that doesn't mean your's will.

My 8700K blue screens with his settings too. In fact even if I use the Asus 5 GHz preset it fails too. My CPU needs loads of volts to be stable.

Even at 1.4 volts de8auer's setting fail for me. I would need more like 1.425 or perhaps even higher.

What does work for me is the Asus 5 GHz preset, but with Hyper Threading off. Then I'm stable at 5 GHz at 1.35 volts.

There's no need to switch Windows to Performance. Balanced wont effect stability.

Just nip the voltage up a tad and re test, while keeping a watchful eye on the temps. If it's not a particvualy good overcloker. like my CPU, it may require right up to 1.45 volts. But I wouldnt risk higher.

It's also worth remembering that a slightly lower overclock isn't a big deal. Overclocking is linear in a well balanced system, so a few hundred megahertz amounts to a minimal increase in frame rate. Also true that games are GPU biased not CPU biased, and in most games your CPU wont be heavily loaded. In short, you don't need a big overclock. So if you do it you are doing it for fun, the sense of achievement, not necessity.

quark54 wrote:
Yes, it's just more voltage required. Not all CPU's are created equally. We refer to it as the silicone lottery.

De8auer's CPU may overclock great to 5 GHz at 1.35 volts, but that doesn't mean your's will.

My 8700K blue screens with his settings too. In fact even if I use the Asus 5 GHz preset it fails too. My CPU needs loads of volts to be stable.

Even at 1.4 volts de8auer's setting fail for me. I would need more like 1.425 or perhaps even higher.

What does work for me is the Asus 5 GHz preset, but with Hyper Threading off. Then I'm stable at 5 GHz at 1.35 volts.

There's no need to switch Windows to Performance. Balanced wont effect stability.

Just nip the voltage up a tad and re test, while keeping a watchful eye on the temps. If it's not a particvualy good overcloker. like my CPU, it may require right up to 1.45 volts. But I wouldnt risk higher.

It's also worth remembering that a slightly lower overclock isn't a big deal. Overclocking is linear in a well balanced system, so a few hundred megahertz amounts to a minimal increase in frame rate. Also true that games are GPU biased not CPU biased, and in most games your CPU wont be heavily loaded. In short, you don't need a big overclock. So if you do it you are doing it for fun, the sense of achievement, not necessity.

I managed to be stable at 5 GHz at 1.36v and made it through 12 hours of P95 stress testing, max temp was 92c, 75-78 90% of the test. Im in the process of a Delid right now, about to put the liquid metal on here soon then I should be good to try for 1.45 or 1.47 just to see what I can be stable at or if it will boot. But I plan on keep at 5 for the long run though.

raider89 wrote:
I managed to be stable at 5 GHz at 1.36v and made it through 12 hours of P95 stress testing, max temp was 92c, 75-78 90% of the test. Im in the process of a Delid right now, about to put the liquid metal on here soon then I should be good to try for 1.45 or 1.47 just to see what I can be stable at or if it will boot. But I plan on keep at 5 for the long run though.

Which version of Prime 95? If a newer version it will run AVX and temps skyrocket. Unless you sat the AVX offset of course.

I don't believe at all in the 12 or 24 hours of testing. It's an outdated approach that was never necessary in my view. I just run RealBench for a few hours and then test stability in the applications I run.

92C is warm, not far away from TJ Max, but if you delid that temp should drop by something like 10 - 20 degrees. That's if you use liquid metal of course. I use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. If you decide to glue the IHS back on, make sure you use a VERY small amount of silicone. Too much and you will defeat the purpose of delidding as it will just increase the gap between die and IHS.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Take a few minutes and search the forum for one of the other 10 million threads on overclocking, look in the stickies of your boards section and also follow the articles link. Enough info to keep you reading for at least month.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Take a few minutes and search the forum for one of the other 10 million threads on overclocking, look in the stickies of your boards section and also follow the articles link. Enough info to keep you reading for at least month.

I've been reading for about 2 weeks now, I most likely have read answers to some of the questions I had, but once I am actually hands on with it, I seem to forget the little things I came across that now I can't find on searches.

Also just been mostly researching just my board, not much outside of that. Also a lot of reading I come across new things that mess up this or that, like seeing settings for a previous bios and well mine is different so it changed and what a mess.

But I am searching, a lot, reading a lot. Im not the person to go straight to a forum. I'd rather find it myself versus waiting for a reply since im impatient heh.

Picking up my video card and doing the delid right now so im pretty occupied now, especially since I got my 12 hour pass on P95.