cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Video output (new build) tried everything!

MadMellie
Level 7
Hi all,

I'm building a second PC out of new and old bits and spares I have been collecting...
Motherboard: Asus P9 X79-E WS
CPU: i7 4820K
Cooler: Arctic Freezer i40
GPU: 2 x Asus Radeon HD5850
RAM: 4 x 4Gb Hyperx DDR3 2400

This is my 4th build... I've put it all together and it seems to fire-up fine but there is no video output. I have followed the Q Code display on the board and it cycles all the way through to "A0" which I understand means the Mobo, CPU & RAM have passed POST?

I have checked an re-checked all wiring, removed all the RAM and replaced just one stick for now. I have tried both graphics cards together and I have tried each of them individually, the fans on both are working fine. I have tried 3 monitors and three monitor cables, and I have checked all are okay on my working PC.

I have not yet taken out and re-seated the CPU or tried a different HDD or tried the GPUs in my other PC. Other than that I'm not sure where to go next as I have been scouring and getting advice from various existing threads here and on Tom's.

Any help, questions or ideas gratefully accepted!
7 REPLIES 7

XploiT
Level 7
Try using a dvi cable instead of hdmi.

I have been using only DVI!

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Have you tried one stick of ram in each DIMM and tried each DIMM slot separately to see if it will post?

Re-seating the CPU would be a good idea, a lot of the new boards have this issue. Simple re-seat then clear CMOS sometimes fixes the issue.

I have now dismantled and reassembled the PC and reset the theCMOS and still no video out.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Nahrga
Level 10
A0 means that it passed POST yes. My guess is that the motherboard doesn't support your GPU model for some reason, a BIOS update might be able to fix that though.

You can either try to update BIOS using the CrashFree BIOS 3 Utility method (can be found in the manual at 3.10.3) or you could try with another GPU model and see if you get any video signal. If so, then try to update BIOS the regular way.

You can find your motherboard manual here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2011/P9X79-E_WS/Manual&QVL/E8097_P9X79-E_WS.pdf

Also if you haven't tried already, do a CMOS reset. See in part 2.2.8 about clearing the RTC RAM.

Nahrga wrote:
A0 means that it passed POST yes. My guess is that the motherboard doesn't support your GPU model for some reason, a BIOS update might be able to fix that though.

You can either try to update BIOS using the CrashFree BIOS 3 Utility method (can be found in the manual at 3.10.3) or you could try with another GPU model and see if you get any video signal. If so, then try to update BIOS the regular way.

You can find your motherboard manual here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2011/P9X79-E_WS/Manual&QVL/E8097_P9X79-E_WS.pdf

Also if you haven't tried already, do a CMOS reset. See in part 2.2.8 about clearing the RTC RAM.

Thank you very much for some really useful advice. I have found and checked the compatibility list and the HD5850 does not feature so hopefully this could be the reason. I will source a GPU which is on the list.

I bough a cheapo Radeon HD5450 which is on the Asus M/B supported list and it works fine... Just need to update the Bios for the other cards and then job's a carrot!

Thanks for your help.