cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb Questions OC 4770k

feistyhippo
Level 7
I run a 4770k on a Maximus VI Forumla w/ 8 gig ddr3 2133, and a 4gig gtx760. Iv been trying to push just even past 4.0ghz but when I load up bios it shows the proper voltages and speeds. Windows however shows stock or lower then stock speeds in Realbench and CPU-Z. Also my mem frequency does not seem to run at the 2133, What am I missing? And what can I do to get the most out of my setup. I have played with pc's since first gen core2duo extreme days. Any help is appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

haihane
Level 13
screenshot of your CPU-Z, please?
- CPU tab
- Memory tab,
- SPD tab.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane
Level 13
when calculating ddr, you need to multiply your current MHz shown in CPU-Z by 2, so: 1066.5 * 2 = 2133 MHz. DDR = double data rate. so it's running at correct frequency.

looks like your computer is on idle state, so it runs on lower frequency to save power.

try running prime95, while keeping the CPU-Z CPU tab open.
it should clock up accordingly.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Thank you for your advice i will try it.

HiVizMan
Level 40
How have you been OCing your system? What application or what bios changes have your made?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I was not used to these newer processors. I dug a little deeper and I was not familiar with the base throttling/idle states of the processor. I disabled this and changed core values and voltages. I also increased the memory values and left stock timing. I could not figure how to manually adjust memory voltages, So I left it on auto. However after running Realbench, My score went down 20k, I am not sure what I missed. I am not home atm so I cannot give you my new settings. But I was able to run stable around 65-72c at 4.7ghz.

HiVizMan
Level 40
All in your own time mate. Just let me know when you are ready and we can take it up again.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

feistyhippo
Level 7
Ill be home tonight and off the next 2 days! hopefully we can catch some time! Thank you again.

Hurricane7
Level 7
I didn't read all thread, but also didn't wanted to create new one. I have some question too.
I have maximus vi formula and 4770k and noctua nh d 14.

I have tried to OC my cpu to 4.2ghz at 1.2v. Also I set my xmp profle. When I did this fully manual voltage was enabled. So I disabled it. And only core voltaget set to manual and my voltage 1.2v.

The problem is I pass my stress tests and benchmarking. But in AI suite my pc runs at "high performance". But when I switch to "AUTO" it can't even do realbench video encoding benchmark.

What is wrong?