cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb alert!!! Need some help with my brand new 3000$ build...

No_Name1
Level 7
Hi guy's,
This is not my first build but this one is really different than a simple PC. There is my config:

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
I7 Six core 4930K
G.SKILL Sniper 2400 16gb (2X8) (waiting for another 16GB today)
EVGA GTX 780 GDDR5 384-bit
PSU Rosewill Capstone 750W
SSD Samsung PRO Series 512GB
HDD 6GB/s 4TB
CPU Cooler corsair H100I
Coolermaster HAF X 932 Advanced blue edition
So first of all I saw that this motherboard and CPU works on a quad memory channel. I understood that mean that 4 4gb stick will work better than 2 8gb one. But how much will it increase performance? How this is working? I guess that in my case I will have to put my stick into all same color slot Red/Black?

About memory frequency I know that my memory stick can go up to 2400 mhz but why is it 1333mhz stock? I hoped for at least 1600mhz. I would like to know if there is a way to change memory frequency easily? And what voltage to play with? Do you think I can push it to 2400mhz without memory ventilation?

About overclocking and tweaking, on the tweak menu of BIOS is there a way to start from a base/stock profile(there is only overclocked profiles)? Is it normal that the profiles that already exists doesn't works OOTB?

Last question! I hoped that my SSD would boot faster and I saw fast boot option and was wondering what are optimal parameters?

Thanks a lot if you just can answer few question that will be good! 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, No_Name.

No_Name wrote:

So first of all I saw that this motherboard and CPU works on a quad memory channel. I understood that mean that 4 4gb stick will work better than 2 8gb one. But how much will it increase performance? How this is working? I guess that in my case I will have to put my stick into all same color slot Red/Black?

That is correct. You have to put all the sticks in the same color slots. But just a word of caution here. There is no 100% guarantee that two separate kits of RAM will play nice together. The best thing to do is buy one QUAD channel memory kit. If you can, return the Sniper kit you bought and cancel the other one. For X79 systems, you should buy the RipjawsZ line from G.Skill. You will not regret buying them.

No_Name wrote:

About memory frequency I know that my memory stick can go up to 2400 mhz but why is it 1333mhz stock? I hoped for at least 1600mhz. I would like to know if there is a way to change memory frequency easily? And what voltage to play with? Do you think I can push it to 2400mhz without memory ventilation?

All RAM defaults to 1333MHz to meet the Intel standard. To setup your RAM, you can enable the XMP profile and or manually configure it. You can find a guide in my signature that explains in detail how to do it. As long as you're running within the manufacturer's specifications, you do not need additional cooling for the memory.

No_Name wrote:

Last question! I hoped that my SSD would boot faster and I saw fast boot option and was wondering what are optimal parameters?

Just leave it as it is. If you want to decrease your boot time even more, disable the Asmedia ports if you're not planning on using them.

That is the exact same model it's unfortunatly too late I'll manage to buy an other kit next year... What kind of performance issue can that cause?

kkn
Level 14
if i was you i would get 1 kit whit the amount of sticks and amount of mhz wanted.
mixing kits is not a good thing to do realy.
even how alike they seem to be.

No_Name1
Level 7
Thank you very much! Unfortunately it's too late for the memory order... Let's see how it goes. Thanks for the guide. I would also like to know... in your opinion, with a cooling system like mine how much can I clock my CPU for a long term use? I also would like to know if there is a kind of ratio between cpu clock speed and voltage ex: 0.00001v per 100mhz?

kkn
Level 14
not easy to tell realy.
each CPU have its limit.
its like winning in a lotto.
use speedstep so it downclocks on idle, and goes up on load.
some cpu's need loads of voltage and some little to achive 4.4ghz for example.
try and post a tread in the rampage forum section on help to OC or read over the stickys thats there on how to OC.

No_Name1
Level 7
Thank you very much it's really appreciated!

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is no relationship between a specific voltage increase and a step in MHz for your CPU. There will come a point where you need a huge amount of added voltage to increase a small amount of frequency. That is your key marker. All below that will be quite manageable heat wise and above that the temps will sky rocket.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.