cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To Overclocking

Cheesy86
Level 7
Hey everyone,

New to the forum and new to OC. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have read and looked at so many tutorials that people have recommended and I feel like I am learning a lot. Currently following der8auer, boosted media and jayz2cents on youtube and have watched majority of their videos. According to my build specifications I have done the best that I can to use everyone's suggestions and run my first stress test for 1hr using ROG RealBench. I ran the Pump on Quiet and the Fan on Balanced using Corsair iCUE and came up with the following results:

Result Hash Match!- For all of them

CPU Temp: 35 - Max:80 - Min:33

My Water pump temp stayed between 34.5°C - 37°C.

I live in Long Beach, CA where the weather was at 26°C. What do you all think? Anything you recommend to tweak and change before I retest? Suggestion for the next Test? Settings? Would really like to hear what everyones opinion on this is.
25 REPLIES 25

Nate152
Hi cheesy86

Looks good for a start.

A few questions....

1) Which method are you using to overclock?
2) What speed and voltage are you at?
3) Is your ram up to speed and did you use XMP or set it manually?

Unless you've set these manually, often times the board will overvolt the CPU Core/Cache voltage, CPU VCCIO voltage and CPU System Agent voltage. Lowering these will lower cpu temps.

Post us a screen shot of Hwinfo after a Relbench benchmark run.

To show all readings in HWinfo, click the blue arrows at the bottom left, click the "Sensors" tab to bring up the readings.

Click the pic to make it bigger

Hey Nate152,

Thank you for the reply. This where I am at at the moment:

1.) I am OC using the BIOS.
2.) I am OC to 4.7GHZ and my CPU core voltage is at 1.280
3.) I set my RAM Manually in the BIOS at 3000MHZ with timings at 16-20-38. DRAM Voltage at 1.3530 according to Corsair for the Vengeance RGB #CMR32GX4M2D3000C16

other info:
CPU Core/Cache current limit Max : 255.5
Min CPU Cache ratio: 42
Max CPU Cache ratio: 42
CPU Current Capabitlty: 140%

Sorry for my ignorance but whats Hwinfo? Is that another monitoring software? Can it be downloaded somewhere?

Nate152
Yes HWinfo monitors cpu speed, temps, voltages and pretty much everything else on your pc.

It's one of the best free monitoring programs.

Under HWinfo, click Download Installer in green, then Local U.S.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Cool I will do that As soon as I get home. At work at the moment. I will post as you recommended with the screenshots.

Nate152
Ok sounds good, in the meantime here is a video to get the maximum readings to show, you can have it show the Averages too.

You said to Post us a screen shot of Hwinfo after a Relbench benchmark run.

Do I start Benchmark first wth this running simultaneously? Or run a stress test with this HWinfo and save the report? SOrry man, never used it before.

Nate152
yes, let HWinfo open and run the benchmark, then post a screen shot with Maximums of all the readings, they're listed at the top of each column in the video, Current, Minimum, Maximum, Average.

Menthol
Level 14
Cheesy86,
I have a question, I believe default MAX cache speed is 44 or 4400mhz, why would you lower it to 42 and why set minimum cache?
Are you using manual voltage and 4700mhz speed all the time, even at idle?
If so once you have your stable OC, save it to a profile in the bios so your settings are not lost then change vcore to adaptive with the same vcore as manual, no offset and see if the same OC is stable and OC and vcore should then idle down when not under load

Hey Menthol,

Thanks for joining the conversation. Actually, if the monitoring software is working properly, these things make our job harder sometimes with bugs, it says that at idle I am at 42MMHZ. Check attached image. I did that because I am running the CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max to 255.5 so I dont get throttling under higher current levels. I left it at 42 in the meantime and I am supposed to work my way up until there is system instability and find the correct number. I think mine will be at 45-46 max.

Sorry for the late reply. I just got home from work.