cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to ASUS here

dayanks101
Level 7
Hi everyone,

New to Asus here and first comp build in 8 years :). Using the 5 way optimization button it set my TPU CPU speed to .04% above normal. Essentially overclocking it. Is that ok or should I Set to default. Is it really that smart enough to overclock it without damaging the processor? IT set ratio to 4408 MHz. Processor is i7-4790K 4.0. Thanks for the help.
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
The i7-4790K has base 4.0GHz and Turbo 4.4GHz speeds. You're not overclocking, lol, the Turbo will automatically kick in whenever processing load can benefit from it and thermal/power parameters allow some headroom. If your processor is already sucking too much power or running too hot or doesn't really need to bump performance upwards then it just won't go Turbo.

There's no real difference between 4000MHz and 4001.6MHz, such insignificant variations are entirely expected, they fall within the error margins for the sensor/timing/oscillator electricals (or software) components which measure such things.

Even if you did overclock, there's no exact magic threshold beyond which things get risky. The raw number of electrical signals and functions getting gated and channeled through your processor are better viewed as an "analog" population than as anything digitally exact. A part operating at spec clock is already electrically/thermally strained, operated at overspec clock just adds a little more electrical/thermal strain. The only "exact" part of overclocking is the manufacturer's rated spec, which is more of a promise/guarantee that the part will operate at a minimum performance level or it's a defect which qualifies for RMA/replacement.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks for that great answer. I figured I was being overly cautious. Appreciate the help.

Panda_Heart
Level 7
Hi, I also just recently signed up and relatively new about Asus. I really appreciate you have shared your inquiries. It is of help for me too because I still want to know more about Asus:)