cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new cooling wanted

trinitom
Level 9
As the title says, I'm looking to replace my current closed loop (H100I) for an air cooler.
I'm not that happy with the h100i performance and then the risk of water leakage does't leave my mind.
So I'm looking for an air cooler capable of running 4.8 oc on my 8350, money is not a problem.

I have searched a lot over the net and seems that the Noctua NH-U14S and Phanteks PH-TC14PE are the best coolers.
now what i would like to know is if any of those will be capable of cooling my CPU at 4.7 oc at least.

thanks!
Cpu- FX 8350 / mobo- crosshair v formula z / Gpu- asus gtx 770 / Psu- corsair AX760 / cooling- Phanteks PH-TC14PE / SSD- samsung 840 evo 250 GB / HDD- 2x toshiba 1T / Ram- G Skill 2x8GB 2400 mhz / case- Zalman z11 / monitor- BenQ xl2411t.
24 REPLIES 24

Chino wrote:
If you're looking for performance and silence, the Noctua NH-U14S is an amazing air cooler. It's on par if not a better than a 120mm AIO and just a few degrees behind the 240mm AIOs. It's not a huge heatsink either so you'll have no problems with RAM clearance.

Thanks for your answer, i think i'll go for that one.
Cpu- FX 8350 / mobo- crosshair v formula z / Gpu- asus gtx 770 / Psu- corsair AX760 / cooling- Phanteks PH-TC14PE / SSD- samsung 840 evo 250 GB / HDD- 2x toshiba 1T / Ram- G Skill 2x8GB 2400 mhz / case- Zalman z11 / monitor- BenQ xl2411t.

trinitom wrote:
Thanks for your answer, i think i'll go for that one.

It is noiser though, and has some clearance problems.
It is far behind 240mm AIOs, but not 120mm AIOs.
It's also ugly because it's an air-cooler that isn't the overpriced CM V8 GTS.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
It is noiser though

Noctua air coolers are anything but noisy.

Antronman wrote:
It is far behind 240mm AIOs, but not 120mm AIOs.

I hardly call 7 degrees far behind but hey, it's a matter of perspective. lol

cypone_x
Level 7
I have a question regarding the Maximus VI Hero and the NH-U14S CPU Cooler. I started the build today and will be gone for the weekend so I won't finish until next Monday or Tuesday. After I installed the CPU Cooler, I was looking at the clearance for the GPU. Has anyone had any issues or know of any issues that could arise in the NH-U14S and a Geforce GTX 770 2GB/4GB SC GPU? It looks like there is very little clearance and that the Heat sink may very well be too close to the GPU for comfort. Any suggestions or feedback/experience regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Intel i7-4770K
ASUS Maximus VI Hero
Fractal R4 Black Pearl (Windowed)
Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler
8GB G.Skill Sniper 2133
Seasonic 750KM3
Samsung 120GB EVO
WD 1TB Black
GPU - Not yet ordered (will update)

Christos_Tsiaou
Level 7