cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build queries.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi just finalising new build and have a few questions.
Rampage Vi Extreme Build.
*Rig Spec.. CPU, Intel i9 7980 XE extreme
*Motherboard. ASUS ROG Rampage vi extreme X299.
*Graphics board. Titan V.
*PSU. Be Quiet DArkPower Pro 11 850 W 80platinum.
*Memory. GSkill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZR ( 8gb x8 ).
*Storage Intel Optane SSD 900P 280Gb. PCI-E NVMe 3. * *Intel. 600p 256Gb M2 NVMe PCIe SSD.
*Case. Corsair carbide 600C
*Cooling. Kraken X62 Aio.
*Fans. Corsair 140 mm x 4, rgb Pwm fans.

7187771878*
Camielleon.
* I have noted that although I have 64gb ram it always registers as 65.5gb ? 1.5gb free!
Straight out of the box and new windows 10 install set ram to 4000 hzs no problems ,*
cpu unstable and temps high at 4ghz,**set system agent to .91 and vicious 1.1500.
Set cpu to 42 rig stable reset *to 44 still stable temps during 3DMark peaking at 72 degrees, reset last night to 45 ran time spy, fire strike and
Sky diver temps hit 80 max.
Gpu boosted clock Memory 12,288mb core clock2,040 MHzMemory bus clock1,026 mhz temps max at 73 deg.
I have read that the mobo, cpu ( especially i9) and gpu combo would need at least 1200 watt and temps would negate any chance of oc, Yet, 850 watt deals with ease, and although temps are ( peeking) high these results do not seem that bad.
So, before any further oc I feel I need to get the other exhaust fan in top of door and research more on custom loop cooling, maybe with chiller, I saw this is what @Menthol is using, will check it out.
All in all really pleased how it’s coming along.*
How important is intel turbo boost ? As from the very start I get the message ‘ itbm failed, Driver not installed’ every time I re install the driver I get same message, I understand this is for cpu to run correctly yet it doesn’t seem to cause a problem?
3 REPLIES 3

Menthol
Level 14
Rob W.,
Very nice build, 3D benches won't load your CPU as much as 2D benchmarks do so the same clock speed will get much hotter than a 3D benchmark, still surprising the clock you can run using an AIO cooler.
850 watt is apparently enough at that clock speed and load but it may not be enough if you use better cooling and higher clocks
I use the water chiller for overclocking and running benchmarks only, not for daily use although you could use one daily, or add into a custom loop and use when needed
I don't install Turbo boost app but Windows will keep installing it, there is a bios option to use bios Turbo settings or OS settings, try switching to see if that helps

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hey, thanks @menthol , didn’t realise about the 2d and 3D loading, that explains temps.
I seem to have this fixation of seeing your score and aiming for it lol, but being realistic I realise I need better cooling to go any further on Oc cpu, gpu seems less power hungry though? So next step is more custom loop research, Heck if I’ve spent this much on a rig it’s just got to be pushed ( if a divorce doesn’t happen first lol) will check out bios for settings for itbm but it’s not really a bother just to cancel message on win boot up.
Chiller would not be needed constant for me either but I do see the benefit for oc’ing.
Will look at psu as and when ( tounge in cheek) **Thanks for reply.*

Menthol
Level 14
Picking a higher score with similar hardware and attempting to match or exceed it is how you learn to get there, if you can match CPU, Memory and GPU clocks then the difference in scores are related to OS tweaks, disabling unneeded processes, GPU driver tweaks, performance settings over visual, low screen resolution, LOD settings, etc., Benchmark specific tweaks varies per Benchmark

I have no good advice on marriage, I have failed miserably at that