New ASUS Gene-Z/Gen3 GTX570 DirectCU II Build Planned

Black4
Level 8
Any issues with this collection of system components :

1. Core i7-2000K series processor,
2. Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 mainboard,
3. GTX570 DirectCU II,
4. Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz memory, and
5. Corsair Force GT SATA III SSD for SSD caching (Intel's Smart Response Tech)?

I'm planning on using my existing RAID0 array for the boot drive.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions,
A Republic of Gamers heart.

The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Looks OK to me. Vengeance can be a bit fiddly on AMD but it should be OK on Intel.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Black4
Level 8
With respect to memory, what are my options with this build. According to the features image below, it could support DDR3 2200 overclocked.

If I might only explore modest overclocking in the future, what would be the sensible memory to select for this build?

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is a sweet board I have one in my system at home.

You do know that there is a Maximus V Gene due out with Ivy bridge in the next few weeks.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Black4
Level 8
Thanks HiVizMan, I am aware. I'm going for 2nd tier stuff for value, so Ivy Bridge is off my radar. This build is plenty high performance for what I need, and a rocket compared to what I'm used to.

I'm really looking forward to it. Just want to confirm the memory spec. What's the best DDR3 dual channel memory speed for this build?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have my system 24/7 at 1600MHz and that hits the spot for me. I did a cost v performance for the higher speed ram kits and decided this was the sweet spot at the time. I think you can pick up really well priced 1866MHz kits now. But for 24/7 use you are not going to tell the difference to be honest. So go for the 1600Mhz
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Black4
Level 8
Can the Core i7 2000K series of processors take advantage of higher DDR3 dual-channel memory speeds in overclock?

And if so, if 1866MHz memory is comparably priced with more available 1600MHz items, does it make sense to spec the faster memory for my new Gene-Z/GEN3 build?

I'm spec-ing a GTX570 DirectCU II and use my Rig primarily for gaming (Battlefield 3 at the moment).