cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some serious help with my post times, please!

Evileyes
Level 7
My system takes 33 seconds to get into windows and its DRIVING me crazy. I just got the Samsung 950 Pro and I was hearing how people's systems start in under 10 seconds..

Here is a video of the post! https://youtu.be/1UgSt9rKA9g

My system:

Asus X99-A - current bios
Intel i7 X5960 @ 4.25Ghz
16GB Corsair doms 2800mhz
Samsung 950 pro M.2
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
SB Omni 5.1 external sound
and some extras

If you have any tips please feel free to explain, ive been up night after night trying to improve my post times. and its only getting worse. Ive done fresh installs, tried countless tweaks in windows, countless overclocking profiles, turned off ram timings..etc in the bios along with different settings, this is driving me nut.. any help on this subject I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

Did you do an UEFI installation of W10?

Setting post delay from 3 to 0 seconds in the bios will help some.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

I did that install, but I don't remember seeing that post delay option, I will try it tonight, thank you!

Yes I did disable DSM in bios

drop4205
Level 12
You might try 2 settings in dram timing page from auto to attempt fast boot on memory training. Is boot order set as windows install manager first? Have you gone into bios and reset everything to default and put no overclock on anything? Unplug all usb devices and see if that may point to a device that isnt compatable during boot? Is there a certain q code that it hangs on longer than normal? Im at 12 to 13 sec for my startup time on warm boot and 15 sec for a cold boot roughly. DDR4 ram on x99 does intensive memory testing during boot up
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
You might try 2 settings in dram timing page from auto to attempt fast boot on memory training. Is boot order set as windows install manager first? Have you gone into bios and reset everything to default and put no overclock on anything? Unplug all usb devices and see if that may point to a device that isnt compatable during boot? Is there a certain q code that it hangs on longer than normal? Im at 12 to 13 sec for my startup time on warm boot and 15 sec for a cold boot roughly. DDR4 ram on x99 does intensive memory testing during boot up

Hey there, thank you for your response. I had fast boot enabled on memory training.. and windows install manager first.
I have tried default bios and removed all USB's and tried new keyboard and mouse USB.. I did find a Q-Code that it hangs on for a little bit.
Q-Code: F6 - and the description is "Reserved for future AMI progress codes" I have no idea what that means...

Here is a video of the post!

What do you think?

Legolas
Level 9
Hi Evileyes,
DId you update NVMe drivers from Samsung?
Disable PS/2 support in BIOS, it will boot faster.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Hi Evileyes,
DId you update NVMe drivers from Samsung?
Disable PS/2 support in BIOS, it will boot faster.

Yes on both of those. 🙂

Thanks for the reply!

drop4205
Level 12
950 pro shouldnt take that long to load. I just switched to one last night. Post beep 3 to 4 sec then desktop in another 8 to 10 sec. Are all drivers installed? Irst, mei, chipset etc? Have you unplugged all usb componets and tried? Im on bios 2001 have not tried any newer ones. If you have bio 3004 id flasback to 2001 or 2101 but i havent tried 2101 yet as 2001 rocks for me right now. I have heard of issues when using 3004 cause its ment for the new broadwell e chips not haswell e.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11