cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need some help with water cooling.

trinitom
Level 9
I'm looking to build a new water cooling system.
I already have the h100i, but to be honest it was and it is the worse component in my rig.

So instead of wasting more money with another AIO system, I'm thinking in to build something nice for the cpu and then for a gpu at latter.

so to start i would like a triple radiator 420mm but don't know what else i would need.
as i don't have space in my case (zalman z11) i will be making a custom box where the radiator and pump will be.
I'm thinking in putting the radiator at about a meter from the case (is that ok?) on the desk case slot, as my case is on top of the desk just next to me.

so any advice and comments welcome!
Cpu- FX 8350 / mobo- crosshair v formula z / Gpu- asus gtx 770 / Psu- corsair AX760 / cooling- Phanteks PH-TC14PE / SSD- samsung 840 evo 250 GB / HDD- 2x toshiba 1T / Ram- G Skill 2x8GB 2400 mhz / case- Zalman z11 / monitor- BenQ xl2411t.
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
A metre of tubing should be no problem for a decent pump...D5(MCP655) or MCP35X...the latter having higher head pressure which makes it good for higher restriction loops...so depends a bit on layout and block number etc. The D5 ideal for low restriction high flow loops (I have gone with this latter).

You will just need a reservoir and pump and a CPU block and radiator to build a nice simple loop. I would go with 1/2" tubing to keep flow rate high and of course some compression fittings to the same size as the tubing.

I get all my stuff from EK these days simply because I started with them and they've not let me down yet...

trinitom
Level 9
Thanks for the info, is there any problem in placing the radiator/pump/res under the case level?
Or it doesn't matter as long the pump it's strong enough?

at the moment i have those in my basket:

Alphacool monsta 420mm rad and koolance 380A cpu plate.
Just need to find a good pump.
Cpu- FX 8350 / mobo- crosshair v formula z / Gpu- asus gtx 770 / Psu- corsair AX760 / cooling- Phanteks PH-TC14PE / SSD- samsung 840 evo 250 GB / HDD- 2x toshiba 1T / Ram- G Skill 2x8GB 2400 mhz / case- Zalman z11 / monitor- BenQ xl2411t.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No there shouldn't be much but of course keep that to a minimum...you just want the reservoir higher than the pump of course for filling and maybe filling the loop raise the outside setup temporarily....

I'll just mention that that CPU block is nice but the mounting mechanism leaves a bit to be desired...you can tighten the nuts down and they don't stop...you have to be very carefull adjusting them all to the same height...etc. the EK blocks adjust to a specific height and you dont have to worry about uneven pressure..if you get what I mean...

trinitom
Level 9
Thanks for all the info, I'll have a look on the EK plate.
Still have a good amount of search to do, but at least i have an idea on where to start.
thanks again.

twisted1
Level 12
No problemo, I'm running a watercool 1080 rad(6m of tubing to the external rad) + 480 + 360 atm. Of one D5 at full blast.

I got both an EK and a koolance 370 block, I must say i prefer the koolance block. Perhaps mostly for the looks.

If you're going with an external rad, why not ramp things up a bit and go with a 1080 rad right away. Like this:

trinitom
Level 9
lol, that seems a bit overkill for me.
I'm looking at the moment for the waterblock and have 3 in my list witch are koolance 380/370 1c (difference between those) EK Supremacy and
Swiftech Apogee HD.
I'm more keen on the swiftech as it looks better than the EK and does have the clamping safety mechanism, otherwise i would choose the koolance, but with no clamping safety I'm afraid of doing damage to the cpu/mobo.

anyway nice rad!!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah the Koolance block is nice and a top performer...I don't want to imply it's not a good block but maybe if you are new to watercooling or whatever and just want the comfort of knowing the block will position itself , if you know what I mean, consider a Supremacy for example...but 380 is definitely a top performer...the top on some platforms...

Zka17
Level 16
I have both the Supremacy and Apogee blocks - they're both good ones...

Having an external radiator setup is most of the times a better choice... it can be placed more optimally outside than inside... - just pay attention to the airflow around it! If the air can not go through the radiator, it won't cool...