cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice / tips from my fellow ROG'ers

iman05
Level 7
hi guys,

i just built a new system with a maximus VI formula and a 4770K with Corsair H100i cooler. These couple of days i started to read and gather info about overclocking my cpu.

I've been reading this thread:

http://rog.asus.com/254052013/maximus-motherboards/recommended-settings-for-overclocking-maximus-vi-...

watched ofcourse JJ's videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoaAT5TkXc4

So i started really simple, these are the ONLY settings i changed:
Ai overclocktuner : XMP
CPU core Ratio: Syn All Cores , set to "44"
DRAM freq = 1600 ( i have 16gig kingston hyper x 1600 modules )
CPU core voltage = Manual mode, and right now its 1.29v
DRAM Voltage = 1.65V

I started with 1.2v as a baseline, but it couldnt boot into windows so i started to raise it higher in little steps. At 1.255v it got past the POST,boot and i could do browsing and normal desktop functions, but Bluescreened right when i ran a stress tester like CINEBENCH or Asus RealBench or Battlefield 4. Now at 1.29v it still does the same but after a couple of hours.
If i just use my browser and normal desktop funtions it works hours without any problem but the moment i play battlefield 4 or run AIDA64 or ASUS Real Bench for a period of time ( between 20 minutes and 2 hours) it gives me a bleuscreen. Below i attached the bleuscreen details ( dump files etc )

I dont want to raise my voltage higher than 1.3v, because im afraid the temps are getting too high, at 1.29 with AIDA running 15 minutes i hit Max Temp : 73c. And with Cine Bench and Asus Real Bench i hit max temp: 67c. Knowing that intel says on their official site that the max temp for the 4770K is 72c.

Do i do something wrong? do i have to use more options in the bios for a stable overclock or is it because my processor cant handle 4.4GHz ?

Already thanks to anyone who helps 🙂 !

BLUESCREEN INFO file : https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/EB33DB70E1AF4A2EA134583933570CEC4
Case | CM HAFX
MoBo| ASUS MAXIMUS vi Formula
CPU | 4770K
CPU Cooler | Corsair H100i
RAM | 4x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600MHz
GPU | MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr
Sound | SoundBlaster Zx
HDD | Samsung 840 EVO 240GB
PSU | Corsair RM1000
4 REPLIES 4

meankeys
Level 13
Hi iman05 Welcome to the ROG

I dont think your doing anything wrong. you probably need a bit more vcore voltage. Try setting your cpu ppl to high or ultra high. keep an eye on temps. what is your idle temp? please list your complete system spec's
tks

Hi meankeys,

Thanks for reply, great to hear i didnt mess up too much 😄 !!
My system specs:
- Asus Maximus Vi Formula
- I7 4770k
- Corsair H100i cooler
- 4x4Gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz
- 240Gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD
- MSI GTX 780 twin frozr
- Corsair RM 1000W PSU

I made 2 print screens for you, one doing noting and the other running AIDA64. I actually dont wanna raise the voltage above 1.29v because i think my H100i wont keep te temps below 70c under load.
It's kinda crazy that people can get 4.6GHz with 1.2v, and i can't even get 4.4GHz with almost 1.3v.

Idle:

Running AIDA64 for couple of minutes:
Case | CM HAFX
CPU | 4770K
Sound | SoundBlaster Zx
PSU | Corsair RM1000

jab383
Level 13
Yep, the Haswell lottery is crazy. It looks like your CPU is close to mine. I need 1.30 Vcore for stability at 4.4GHz. Stability at 1.32v isn't far off that. The temperatures show that you're near the limit for that CPU and cooling method. You could run up into the 80s C briefly for stability tests and benchmarks if that's what it takes to get to 4.5GHz, but I'd keep to 4.4GHz for 24/7 use with that setup.

Jeff

jab383 wrote:
Yep, the Haswell lottery is crazy. It looks like your CPU is close to mine. I need 1.30 Vcore for stability at 4.4GHz. Stability at 1.32v isn't far off that. The temperatures show that you're near the limit for that CPU and cooling method. You could run up into the 80s C briefly for stability tests and benchmarks if that's what it takes to get to 4.5GHz, but I'd keep to 4.4GHz for 24/7 use with that setup.

Jeff

it's a pitty, but you're right. At 4.5 and even 4.6 i can use any normal desktop function and browsing, but the moment i open a game or a stress / bench programm it crashes. At 4.4 im stable, i stress tested it for 12hours and didn't fail on me and can play all my games also without crashing.

What i could do is also switch to a a big watercooling solution but for that 0.1 or 0.2 GHz isn't worth it i guess.

Btw i wouldnt run it to 80, on he official data sheet of intel, they say max temp for a haswell is 72c..
Case | CM HAFX
CPU | 4770K
Sound | SoundBlaster Zx
PSU | Corsair RM1000