cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info about OC'ing ASUS GT640 2GB

Berat1337
Level 7
Hello there overclockers!

I just bought a pc with GT640 card, i need to overclock it for some applications/games to run smoothly,
so i would like to ask the OC tolerance(gpu clock,memory clock) level and the max temperature for this graphics card...

Thanks in advance,
Berat1337
8 REPLIES 8

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

As rule of OC'ing, there are no two hardware which will work in the same way during OC'ing... the tolerance you are asking for is a parameter of your own card. Generally, the temps will indicate how high you can go with OC'ing - in the case of graphics cards you also have the artefacting when you go too high...

So, you could install MSI's Afterburner or EVGA's PrecisionX, set the voltage to max and try upping the GPU clock and the memory... monitorize the temps permanently! It's just a guess, but i do't think your card can work properly if it's going above 70C... - you can see only the GPU's temp, but usually the VRMs temps will stop your OC'ing...

KPRage
Level 10
Berat1337,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I would double what Zka17 says (he is my first adviser btw! 🙂 ). Whatever you try, just make sure your GPU temps remain below 70C. Rest, you can use the tools suggested by Zka17. Please go through the forums (there are loads of step-by-step instructions and, detail explanations) and, learn more before OCng. Happy overclocking. Let us know how it went.

Cheers,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

Berat1337
Level 7
Thank you for your information,i successfully overclocked it with asus gpu tweaker that came with the drivers cd, the problem is that the settings are not saved after the shutdown, when i start pc the next time if i don't run the gpu tweaker, changes don't apply.
So is there a way to permanently save the clock changes so that i dont mess up with programs?

Zka17
Level 16
Well, sincerely, I never saved the OC profile in GPU Tweak... Are you sure that you want your card to run permanently OC'd? Even when not needed (no gaming/benching, just everyday tasks)?

In the settings of the GPU Tweak you can check to keep the OC for the next restart, if I remember correctly... or you could save the profile and load when you needed...

Also, be sure that you're using the last version of the GPU Tweak...

Berat1337
Level 7
well i use this pc allways for gaming. for surfing and everyday tasks i use the laptop , that's why i asked because i can't find the "keep settings after next restart" on gpu tweaker, would it be ok if i clock it with riva tuner?

KPRage
Level 10
Berat1337. Try using the tools suggested by Zka17. I have not used Riva tuner for this purpose yet. 🙂 Will give it a try and, update you on this.
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

hildseller
Level 7
me too, I have not used Riva tuner for this purpose yet. Will give it a try and, update you on this.thanks

Berat1337
Level 7
thank you for your assistance guys, really helped a lot :),
just one more question, it's not connected with oc.
do you know how can i change application sound outputs? (ex. I want to listen to music from the speakers and use headphones for teamspeak3)