cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with overclocking my cpu

CiNCiTy
Level 7
Hello, as the title says am looking to overclock both my cpu and my gpu to boost my gaming performance as am not happy with what i get in most games and i dont know why but with my setup i should be getting good results unless something is wrong with my setup,

Here is my full specs,
sli gtx 980ti gigabyte windforce (Boost: 1241 MHz / Base: 1152 MHz) & evga SC ( not overclocked ) (Base Clock: 1102 MHz / Boost Clock: 1190 MHz )
i7 3960x not overclocked
asus rampage iv latest bios
4x8gb 2400mhz ram corsair platinum
Evga Supernova 1500
custom cooling for cpu
i game on Asus rog swift gsync 144hz

I game on sony 4k tv XBR-65X900A,

am new to overclocking i only done it once with cpu but through the bios profiles so i dont know if its normal for the decrease of the memory freq from 2400 to 1333 or not,

i also would like to push my cards into overclocking if possible to see increase in my gaming performance,

if you want more information regarding anything please let me know i did some 3dmark also to see the score..

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12578739
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12578840

Thanks,
72 REPLIES 72

Nate152
All right

I never used G-Sync so I don't know if that could be affecting your scores, you could try disabling it for the benchmark.

CiNCiTy
Level 7
still gpu1 max power it takes not more than 65% and temp max was 70c on +130mhz on core and it still doesnt exceed 1266mhz yet 3dmark shows its overclocked and all,

in the other hand the 2nd card max power 97% & temp max was 85c & max core was 1253 mhz yet this one i did not touch or overclocked its just sc from evga with 1102mhz base and 1190 boost

CiNCiTy
Level 7
another issue also +130mhz on the core clock worked fine no increase performance or increase in fps but no drop either it was normal anything more than +130mhz i get fps drop to 10 and 16 and very low fps on benchmark :S

what am i doing wrong ?

Nate152

CiNCiTy
Level 7
gpu1 never reached that temp it was gpu2 which i did not touch :S

CiNCiTy
Level 7
there is something wrong for sure i dont know whats wrong :S

i downloaded gpuz to run benchmark on window mode and check the sensors but cant figure it out i took screen shot

Nate152
All right you got the onscreen display on !

GPU 1 is not running properly as the mem clock is only showing 400MHz, restart your pc and see if that gets it running properly. You do have sli enabled correct?

CiNCiTy
Level 7
still same, i did reset everything and removed the overclock and took screen shot and all is fine but dont know why overclock doesnt take any effect or having memory problems :S57802

Nate152
That looks better, double what the memory is showing in GPU-Z and you have 3500MHz. One thing I noticed in the onscreen display is you have a 6 core cpu but only 4 cores showing.

Try running the benchmark again and see if it's any better.

CiNCiTy
Level 7
that screenshot after i reset everything back to default and removed the overclock and i have 6 core cpu but i only marked first 4 on the osd but that is not the issue, the issue now when i overclock i get fps drop because of the memory :S