cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help - I7 8700 non k high temp and vcore

raphaelmontes
Level 7
I recently bought an ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F GAMING motherboard and immediately noticed that temperatures were way higher than what it used to be with my previous AORUS mobo. Initial readings were 1.35V and 65°C on idle.

After some research I found out about MCE and how it can impact your CPU, so I turned it off. No changes to temps or vcore. Then manually undervolt my CPU through BIOS to 1.15V and it did help a bit, but temp is still kinda high, 45-48°C on idle.
I know this is not a cooling issue, I have a watercooler with pump running at 2300RPM, 240mm radiator with 2 outake fans running at 2000RPM plus 2 intake/1 outake case fans at 1200RPM. GPU temp on idle lies around 30-33°C and temps under stress rarely goes above 60ºC on both CPU and GPU.

I was expecting lower temps on idle for my CPU, something around 30-35ºC, not sure what could be causing this.
My BIOS is updated to the latest available version, and I have done the readings with multiple apps, AI Suite 3, HWMonitor and CPU-Z, all showing basically same results.
One strange thing I noticed when messing around in BIOS is that I get different readings for Vcore and CPU temp if compared to all apps mentioned above.

I plan on upgrading my CPU to a I9-9900K soon, reason why I bought this mobo. I'm not a newbie to PCs, however not an expert also. Please can anyone help me understand what is going on?

My PC overview:
Intel Core i7 8700 (non K)
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F GAMING
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @3000MHz
ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super
Corsair RM650x 80 PLUS Gold
0 REPLIES 0