Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for OC I7 4930K

dorianbz
Level 7
Hello,

I need some advice to overclock my 4930K with a rampage iv extreme

Should I take example of one of the OC guide ever posted?
I don't want an extreme OC, just about 4.3 or 4.5 Ghz
I'm totally new ^^

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

dorianbz
Level 7
Hi Arne and thanks for your quick reply 🙂

So his tutorial may work for my processor! Finally I only just to increase the multiplier and not touch to the vcore?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you increase the multiplier the AUTO rules from the BIOS will "speak" to the CPU which has a VID (voltage) table to increase voltage with multiplier automatically so for 43 multi for example you shoul dbe fine.

Read the guide thoroughly (yes it is specifically for CPUs like yours) and then put it into practice. The idea is to check what voltage you get in CPUz when running a stress test and see if you can manually set this a bit lower since the AUTO settings often set voltage that is higher than you actually need. It depends on your particular CPU as always.

Just for example (made up figures) say you set multi 43 and run Prime 95...look at CPUz and see 1.344v and you have good temps. It will be possible for you to set 1.34 in BIOS yourself and run the same OC. But then it may be possible to work this voltage down slowly 1.33...1.32.1.31...1.30 and maybe the same 43 multiplier will be stable and temps will reduce! At some point, of course, lowering voltage will make you unstable so you just go back up a bit.

You might find 43 works with 1.25v or whatever and you have reduced temps sufficiently to think about increasing voltage back to 1.34 again for example but this time setting 44 multiplier and then 45 multiplier etc etc all a process of working out what voltage and what temps you have at a certain multiplier and working out where your CPU is happiest!

Most important is keep an eye on temps and voltage....

have fun!;)

dorianbz
Level 7
Ok 😄

I'll start to multiplier only to see what happen.
But I guess if I want to lower voltage I'll have to switch some things to manually! I only have to reduce the Vcore?
There is many voltage settings and in some tutos they don't only change the vcore.

And another question from a perfect noob 🙂
Why it is important to decrease the voltage if the temperature and frequency are ok?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Ideally for any multiplier you want to run it at the lowest voltage possible since higher voltage and higher temps mean less life for your CPU. the lower the temps and volatge/current the better.

Vcore is not the only voltage but it is the most important so focus on that first...try to work out where your CPU is happiest temperature and voltage wise. Keep under 1.4v and try and keep under 70 degrees for max temps would be good advice I think..

dorianbz
Level 7
Hi

So I give you some news from my test

I set up the multiplier to 43 so 4.3 ghz
Always seems to be good but I noticed the vcore stay at it's max! Why? even when the multiplier is at 12x the vcore is 1,324

when the multiplier is set to Auto the vcore change regarding the multiplier
IDLE 12x : vcore 0,878
Full charge x39 : vcore 1,223

with x43 multiplier
IDLE 12x : vcore 1,324
Full charge 43x : vcore 1,326

Why the vcore don't increase only at full charge?

As you can see I have not finished to learn 🙂

For the temperature it's ok 53°c at full charge at 4.3 ghz but because of high vcore in idle the T° is 35°c vs 19°c at default settings

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey dorianbz..

not sure what's going on there but I'm not sure what AISuite reports....I would use CPUz for monitoring voltage. You doing this OCing via the BIOS directly?. If so the voltage should drop unless you have Performance power plan selected, or speedstep disabled, or manual voltage set...

dorianbz
Level 7
Hi 🙂

Yes I made it by the BIOS

IDLE

Full charge

Here the BIOS

Edit:
I found this on forum archive :

If you are referring to raja's offset mode guide, I followed it strictly.

I just don't want to start tuning while this problem exists..

I don't get it why the vcore doesn't drop when the cpu downclocks to 1200mhz when the max. multiplier is >40, while it does drop to 0.8 when idle when the max multi = 40.

So the CPU correctly downclocks to 1200MHz in both scenarios. But when multi > 40, the VCore never changes.

Energy profile under Windows is balanced. I get the same effects in linux too.

So it seem's to be normal that when the multiplier is >40 the vcore doesn't drop anymore

Indeed it's the same to me
I set the multi to 40 and the vcore drop

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm weird I didn't know that:confused:....never happened with SB-E when I had a RIVE...I guess you should just set manual voltage then and see what multiplier you can get stable with good temps etc. and then work out an offset voltage so speedstep comes back online...