Zka17
Level 16
So, most of the core components has arrived! :cool:
Mobo: Rampage V Edition 10
CPU: Intel Core i7-6900k
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8x8GB, 3200MHz, 14-14-14-34, 1.35V
GPU: 2x Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB

Right now it's only on a testbench - until I figure out most of the settings... also, the CPU cooler is a Noctua U12S - for now...

Here are some pics:

Did some basic testing... CPU is limited to 3.2GHz, RAM at 2133MHz:

And, of course the RealBench:

Then I set the CPU to 3.6GHz and RAM to its XMP:

And I will stop here with benchmarking for today... this Noctua cooler is reaching its limits...
Beside, will have to refresh my memories about benchmarking... and learn some new tricks with Win10... :cool:
48 REPLIES 48

Zka17
Level 16
Not too long ago I was asking if cooling the whole board and CPU will be better than if just cooling the CPU (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91629-Watercooling-the-Rampage-V-Edition-10)?

I never really got a straight answer to that - although I did find out there that my existing CPU block will just work fine for the R5E10... :cool:
Could not sleep well not knowing the answer, just had to do it:

Mounting was pretty straightforward and it looks mostly well... mostly only - that thread from the block to the RGB connector is ugly like hell... 😞
Strongly tempted to just cut it off...

So, the question is if it worth it?

At first look: not too much... maybe at all - at least temperature-wise...
I've run 20 minutes AIDA64 CPU/FPU/cache/memory stressing before and after. Turn on the system, run 2 RBs one after another, wait 10 minutes, clear values in AIDA, then run stresstest, then wait 5 minutes before save the statistics.
Unfortunately my ambient temp has changed, so the comparison is not so clean... well, it is what it is, won't take it apart today to repeat the previous setup...

If looking only at the max values, the CPU block only looks even better... however the average values tell a story too...
The max values show how high the temps when during the test, however they don't show how long those high temps were kept...
Average values are really showing the difference: although the individual peaks were higher with the Monoblock, overall the average temps are lower on the CPU! Even if the ambient temp was higher...

Overall, is there a big difference? No.
Don't forget that my system is on the TestBench (completely open) with a fan directly blowing on the VRM area... what I am hoping is that when I will built it in a case, lack of airflow around the VRM won't make a difference...

Zka17
Level 16
OK, the flow question... in an another thread come up recently (but it was bugging me for a while now) that higher flow is always better when watercooling...
A lot of experts are stating it, but I never actually tried it... and sorry, I need to experiment it for myself...
My way was always slower flow with very big radiators... the slower flow was my choice because my double D5 varios were getting loud as increasing their speed - so I just had them at the 2nd setting...

So, I did a simple test: 1.) turn on the system and wait 10 minutes; 2.) start AIDA64 stressing (CPU+FPU+cache) and run it for 15 minutes; 3.) wait 5 minutes before save the Statistics tab... run this on the 2nd setting and 4th setting (ambient temp was 21C all the time; CPU at 4.4GHz):

What happened: motherboard temp went down (monoblock) approx 1C; CPU max temp went down 1C, but the min and average increased 1C; max core temps went down several Cs, but their average is increased again; VRM min and max temps went down, PCH temps went down... and the pumps were making noise...

The monoblock is doing its job at the board section, no question there...
However, at the CPU is not that convincing... although the higher flow reduced the peak temps, the averages increased - meaning that overall during the test the CPU was running hotter...

Why was that?
One explanation is that higher pump speeds means higher heat dump in the coolant, increasing the coolant temps... The other thing came in my mind are air bubbles...

And that's were the pump noise was coming from too... at the 4th speed setting, the return flow in the reservoir is so fast that it looks like boiling - creates a lot of air bubbles, which are sucked in by the pumps and pushed into the loop... now, those air bubbles would certainly affect the heat exchange at the CPU part of the monoblock as well in the radiator too...

Well, this was my first experiment... a very short one, true - but at this point I'm still not convinced about the higher flows... it is rather a balance among your components...
Will have to dig more into this, with more sophisticated setup... parts are in their way, so stay tuned!

xeromist
1 degree is within the margin for error so my conclusion is that it didn't make a difference, which is what is to be expected. The amount of heat generated at any given moment is tiny compared to the volume of water in a loop. So as long as you have enough flow to maintain a minimal flow rate through the most restrictive block you are good.

I'm glad you tested for yourself as we need more people that question authority, but as for the other guys this is a settled issue. Flow rates, loop order, and push vs pull fans have all been tested ad nauseam over the years so anyone still saying there is a difference missed the boat. Maybe they meant higher pump speed might be necessary in certain circumstances rather than higher flow is always better. Not all loops are equal so a particularly restrictive one will require a higher pump speed.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Zka17
Level 16
Yeah, I do realize the limitations of my short testing... not enough time to bring up the coolant temps...
The limitation of the high flow for me is the increased turbulence in the reservoir - the pumps suck in a lot of air bubbles.. and as we know the air is a good insulator...
But working on the improvements... :cool:

Zka17
Level 16
Finally I had some time to assemble my test loop... I mean, I'm testing a new loop for my CPU+mobo...
For leaks and the controller... :cool:

Radiator: EK CoolStream XE 360
Fans: 6x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC2000
Pump: 2x D5 PWM
Controller: Aquaero 6 Pro
Temp sensor: 2x BItspower (?)
Flow sensor: Aquacomputer

First I wanted to check the noise of the Noctua fans... at max speed these are NOT quiet! They move a ton of air, but have a high pitch noise... 😞
Then the pumps... they're strong as expected... and this new dual housing for them is very cool! and quiet even a max speeds...
Then the Aquaero... well this is just the beginning of a - hope - long journey... For start I could connect all the components, I can read rpms, temps and flow and can adjust the speed of the fans and pumps - from the unit itself... everyone is saying that the real thing is to adjust it from the software... will see!

One good experience: as soon as I filled the loop, the fans became more quiet! Seemingly the empty radiator was working as a resonator...
Now the loudest component is the flow sensor... hope that will go away too...

Now I will need to build an another loop for the graphics cards... and assemble everything into a case... 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
I have the same EK dual pump with res on top, it is much much quieter than my last dual D5 pump block, I also like the options for mounting , I am using a 250mm reservoir and don't seem to have the issue of air bubbles, I think you just don't have the volume or resistance of blocks with your test loop, I am sure you'll have it all sorted when your loop is completed

Zka17
Level 16
Oh, I will have the bigger reservoir - the one is in service right now. I am expecting too to have more restriction in the loop as soon as I connect the monoblock.

Zka17
Level 16
Do you think, Lads and Gents, that these will be enough for my two GTX 1080 Tis?

The rads are the EK-CoolStream CE 420, the fans are the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 2000 - push-pull on each rad.
According to the EK, these rads are able to dissipate 479W each... I think it will be some room for OC'ing... :cool:

Zka17
Level 16
I think, I have most of the components for my new system... time to decide on a case...
Not easy, I have to tell you... I have spend so much time in building computers that I became very picky... - sincerely, I don't know if there is a case I could not find some weak points...

So, just sit down and listed what things are important for me:
1. It has to be big - need to fit all the components mentioned before in this thread...
2. I want a horizontal motherboard tray - partly because of my TestBench heritage, partly because of heavy graphics cards (don't want them sagging)...
3. I want black...
4. It wouldn't hurt if it would not crush my desk...

And I made my decision! :cool:

Interested? Check this out:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93554-BlackBeauty-reloaded&p=652823&viewfull=1#post652823