cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first real system…please help me get it right

New2Mod
Level 8
This is my first real system build; every other build I have done has been with used parts or with very cheap ones. Needless to say I am in need of some advice about configuring everything.

I have the MVE motherboard with the 3770k processor, dual GXT-670 4GB video cards and 16GB ram. Everything is working fine (I think) but I am not sure I have it set up right.

I cannot get the updated drivers for the video cards to install. Took me 3 tries to get SLI to stick and 3DMark advance is choppy when I believe it should be smooth, but it finally says SLI yes.

I installed the Hyper 212 EVO to insure I don’t hurt anything which just made things more confusing. I had to change settings in BOIS because the fan speed was so low on the cooler I kept getting a boot warning.

I have a 240GB sata SSD drive with my operating system and a 256GB msata SSD I split; half for storage and the other half for back-up. I haven’t created all the folders and moved the files yet, still reading about how that is done and what folders to move (suggestions?).

I don’t know what questions to ask because I think it is mostly personal preference, but I am sure you could offer suggestions as to configuring it for best results.

This site has been a great help to me and I could use some suggestions before I get too far and have to start over. I play a few games and dabble in DAZ 3D and Hexagon 2. I hope to get this right and tested before the case arrives so I am able to start installing water blocks and getting this puppy running at peak potential.

I just ran 3D mark strike force on extreme setting and the choppiness was intolerable. What am I doing wrong?
38 REPLIES 38

Zka17
Level 16
hwbot.org - there you have any benchmark you wish

New2Mod
Level 8
I have been working on this all day and honestly I do not care if it takes me another week to get it right. at this point I believe I have a stable OC but there is (what I call) reflective ghosting. At points in the run there will be light reflections that seem to overtake the item to the point of making a pointed surface appear rounded.

I am not sure if i should lower the memory clock or the GPU clock to clear this up. Hopefully this image will contain enough information to help.
Thanks for looking.

Chino
Level 15
You're doing a great job there New2Mod. Your overclock is looking really nice. You should do some intense gaming sessions to test your overclock.

New2Mod
Level 8
I downloaded fraps, do you think that clock will handle skyrim set on high?

New2Mod
Level 8
VG248QE 144hz 1ms res at 1920 x 1080

Tried to turn up CPU first using TurboV Evo... can you say total fail? 4.6 = fail. 4.4 = fail and 4.2 = fail. set everything to default on CPU and got an even better score from GPU (a real head scratchier for me) .

I have much yet to learn.

New2Mod
Level 8
Found this reading another post...
HiVizMan wrote:
And uninstall AIsuite if you can. Not my number 1 utility.

facepalm... yep Alot left to learn.

guess i need to find a thread on OC-ing the CPU like the aforementioned one on the 670. maybe i can play skyrim tomorrow.

I think some of my problem is in the memory clock. But why would the CPU affect the GPU.

not easy being me, sexy as he!! and dumb a sh!t lol.:D

kkn
Level 14
look in the maximum tread and in the sticky.
its the same thing in the CPU, step by step.

New2Mod wrote:
VG248QE 144hz 1ms res at 1920 x 1080

Tried to turn up CPU first using TurboV Evo... can you say total fail? 4.6 = fail. 4.4 = fail and 4.2 = fail. set everything to default on CPU and got an even better score from GPU (a real head scratchier for me) .

I have much yet to learn.

At that resolution, even a single GTX 670 at stock clocks can handle TES: Skyrim with Ultra Settings at 1080p. Having a SLI will only boost fps even more. And to be completely honest, I don't think you even need to overclock those babies yet until your other 2 monitors come into play. But it's always good to gain some new knowledge. Besides overclocking is fun. Oh! And since you're playing TES: Skyrim, don't forget to download the High Resolution Texture Pack. It just makes the game so much more beautiful than it is. Your eyes are going to get an orgasm. lol

Stay away from AI Suite and CPU Level Up (even the one in the BIOS). Don't forget to run the AI Suite II uninstall cleaner as administrator to completely remove the leftovers. 😉

And this is the Overclocking Guide: 4.7GHz Core-i7 3770K On The Maximus V Formula that you're looking for.