cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 4770K is using 1.246v on STOCK settings with 32GB Ram :(

jasonelmore
Level 7
My 4770K is using 1.246v on stock settings with 32GB Ram 😞

That doesnt exactly leave me much headroom. Running a Swiftech Apogee Drive II Watercooling Kit on top of a Maximus VI Extreme.

I know the memory controller in these mainstream cpu's is junk compared to their big brother Sandy Bridge E and Ivy Bridge E, but is there something i can do to get 4.6ghz stable? Can i give the memory controller more juice?

I'm returning this chip because frankly, that's just horrible, but i wanted to see if there was anything i'm missing before i do.
I'm using auto rules on everything, even the auto level up blue screens because it never gives the cpu enough voltage.

Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
Intel i7 4770K CPU
32GB Gskill 2400mhz RAM
SSD's in Raid
HDD's in RAID
850w corsair psu
swiftech apogee drive II Kit.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Anusha
Level 7
jasonelmore wrote:
My 4770K is using 1.246v on stock settings with 32GB Ram 😞

That doesnt exactly leave me much headroom. Running a Swiftech Apogee Drive II Watercooling Kit on top of a Maximus VI Extreme.

I know the memory controller in these mainstream cpu's is junk compared to their big brother Sandy Bridge E and Ivy Bridge E, but is there something i can do to get 4.6ghz stable? Can i give the memory controller more juice?

I'm returning this chip because frankly, that's just horrible, but i wanted to see if there was anything i'm missing before i do.
I'm using auto rules on everything, even the auto level up blue screens because it never gives the cpu enough voltage.

Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
Intel i7 4770K CPU
32GB Gskill 2400mhz RAM
SSD's in Raid
HDD's in RAID
850w corsair psu
swiftech apogee drive II Kit.

Thanks

it could simply be an issue with the board and you don't really need that much Vcore. why don't you try to undervolt it? at stock, it shouldn't need more than 1.05V even with all slots filled.

i tried undervolting, it just causes my computer to BSOD randomly. like the 3 times a day, hard to replicate kinda blue screens. the VID is programmed by intel so i'm sure they know what the chip needs

jasonelmore wrote:
i tried undervolting, it just causes my computer to BSOD randomly. like the 3 times a day, hard to replicate kinda blue screens. the VID is programmed by intel so i'm sure they know what the chip needs

Did you use offset more or manual mode? I think you'll have to use manual mode in this situation.

Btw, I'm sure you qualify for RMA. Tell them it throttles while encoding video with Handbrake or something. I believe someone at OCN forums got that done.

Zka17
Level 16
I know this won't make your problem go away, but SB and SB-E have much weaker IMC than IB, Hawell and IB-E...

32GB at 2400MHz is pretty hard on any IMC... - of course there is the chip lottery too: not all (same model) CPUs are clocking the same...

Could you share more about your BIOS settings? Hope you're OC'ing from BIOS...

HiVizMan
Level 40
The Haswell IMC is way stronger than anything else out there in processor land.

If you can change your CPU then go for it, in not post up here what your settings were for those voltages.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.