cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard Issues

Dela_Soul92
Level 7
I started this tread because i don't know where else to post, so I'll start.

I have three problems with my maximus hero VI whether they are issues or not, i don't know. The first is my CPU fan which spins between 1200 to 1300 rpm at idle (I haven't overclocked my system). Second issue is the really long boot times, don't know why but it takes more that a minute or two to get to the desktop (i have fast boot enabled). The last issue with I temporarily fixes is my mouse needing to reconnect to the usb 2.0 almost everytime I stared up my computer. I fixed it by going to device manager, going to the usb root hub, clicking on the power manager and unchecking the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

The first issue, i dont know if the i5 4670k stock cooler is crap or if there is an motherboard and fan problem. I dont want to use ai suite 3 because it's not very useful and it is using a lot of resources in the background.

The second issue i think is because of intel's "Delayed Lancher", can't think of anything else but i don't know if it's wise to disable it.

The third issue which i temporarily fixed, i want to know if theres a better way to do it. My legacy is enabled in bios so i don't know what else to do.

I just have one last question about drives because they where a B.... to install and just want to know if there is an alternativ that isn't driverboost or driveagent. Reason being one is suspect and the other cost like 30 dollar which is BS, i mean really. Who in the world pays for a driver updater. thats ridiculous. Basically does ASUS have an drive updater utility.

I know i'm asking alot but any help would be appreciated (Sorry for the bad writing, I'm really sleepy).

Specs:
i5 4670k (Stock Cooler)
Maximus Hero VI
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 tri-X
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB
HDD, no SSD
Fujitsu Siemens Wireles Laser Mouse
Don't know if anyhing else is relevant
12 REPLIES 12

Tokens210
Level 10
As for your first question about the stock Intel cooler, as long as ur not over clocked which I see you say you are not, then it'll do, I've got a 4770 with stock cooler, according to fan expert 1100 rpms is the slowest the fan can do, and can go as high as something like 2000-2400rpms, so as long as your temps are good, then the coolers working fine, if you wanna go different cooler there are cheap yet good after market ones like cooler master hyper 212, or the noctua one, can't remember the numbers on it, but they'll cool better then the stock one allowing you or the system itself to spin the fans slower more of the time

Your second question, 1 minute boot times, sounds close to being right to me, for really quick boot times you would need an ssd as your boot/os drive, also the type of mechanical you have would matter as well, sata 3 faster then sata 2, sata 2 faster then sata 1 or plain sata , the Intel delayed start your talking about I'm assuming is somewhere within the Intel rapid storage technology in which case a lot of that program is specifically for speeding ssd's up

Third in not really sure about cause on my board at least, plugging in my mouse when it registered as a user input it doesn't turn itself off, I'd say you may wanna try leaving the option you said temporarily fixes it, and uninstall the mouse, restart windows with it still plugged in and windows will try to load drivers itself on next boot as long as ur connected to the internet, after that you may wanna head to the mouses manufacturers page and see if they have any drivers or software for it although if its USB you shouldn't need them really

As for your drive question I'm not really sure what your asking lol what drives were a b to install, and what and why do you need a driver update for it, Asus does have an app called ez-update but as I downloaded all newest drivers right from Asus support I've never had to use it so I'm unsure of what it actually updates
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Thanks for the reply Tokens210, at least the first issue is settled. Regarding intel rapid storage technology, im not using an ssd so would i see any benafits from the software.

The third issue, my mouse dosn't have a driver that i can uninstall so that might be a problem.

About the update request. I just wondered if there was a utility that can autocheck for lan, chipset, audio and other drivers which would be a really nice addition to ASUS.

Thanks again for the reply.

Tokens210
Level 10
I believe the Intel rapid does in fact have a few things that mechanical HDD can make use of most likely making it have better read/write stability, but there are a few things specifically for ssds, you can sometimes tell by opening the program and trying to enable one, most commonly will say it cannot find a capable drive

As for the mouse, if its a USB one and if your using Windows, when u first plugged it in it would have loaded drivers from the windows default drivers, most likely it be listed as a user input device, in the device manager it would probly be listed as the same, most mice and keyboards don't really need drivers anymore cause they all work in the same manner, just some have specific software for specific features

And as I said about the application called Asus ez-update, I assumed it was for updating just what your asking but again since I purchased my board in Feb. This year and installed all the newest drivers right from the support page and no new drivers have yet to be released I'm not 100% sure there but now a days most do have an updater so that's my guess lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Chino
Level 15
The fan on the stock heatsink is PWM. That means you can have it change automatically based on the temperature. You can adjust the speed in the BIOS. If you're not using a RAID array, remove the Intel RST software. No point to have it. For the mouse issue, trying disabling xHCI in your BIOS and see if that fixes it for you.

kkn
Level 14
no need to update drivers all the time, as long as things work why fk it up?
drivers you can donwload from asus's home page under the motherboard you have.

Is your hdd plugged into the sata 6g slots and not the intel sata slots on the motherboard? I had an issue with fast boot not working and reinstalled windows 8.1 a second time as I didnt load it as UFEI boot option. I have heard it is a little faster than a Legacy install. I run an ssd and from power button on to tile screen is 10 sec
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Is your hdd plugged into the intel sata 6g slots and not the Asmedia sata slots on the motherboard? I had an issue with fast boot not working and reinstalled windows 8.1 a second time as I didnt load it as UFEI boot option. I have heard it is a little faster than a Legacy install. I run an ssd and from power button on to tile screen is 10 sec
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Appreciate all the replys but now that am looking closer, it takes longer to boot up my new computer then my old computer and i rebooted my computer like 5 times to both take the time and see if my mouse work after every reboot. Yeah my mouse if fixed but even for and HDD my computer boots really slow.

As far as the the drive updater goes, i think ai suite came with EZ update but i hade to uninstall it when i removed ai suite. There really aren't that many updates so it's now really needed. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Tokens210
Level 10
Did ur old PC run the same windows, cause if not that could be the issue

The use updater shouldn't really be that important as all you really need to do is, an issue with something arises see if there's an update, otherwise there's usually not a reason to update

Also do you know what type of HDD you have sata, sata 2, sata 3

Cause I personally have an original sata drive, bought it for my old dell xps 400, used to boot windows 7 64-bit in about 3-4 minutes from button push to windows screen

Put it in my new build and windows loading times seem slower but in reality it boots in about 1-2 minutes