cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory module teetering on the brink?

IM2L844
Level 12
When I started my system this morning it stuck on Q-code 32 (CPU post memory initialization) with no monitor or mouse. Resetting didn't help. Resetting CMOS didn't help. Hit the MemOK button then, when prompted with the enter setup to save memory setting - press F1 to enter setup. Loaded defaults, restarted...same thing. This time I entered the BIOS and exited without saving and everything was working fine. Couldn't find any drive problems or file errors, but everytime I restarted the same thing happened. I was going to run memtest86+ 4.20, loaded the bootable iso on a USB and restarted the computer. memtest86+ didn't start (I must have misread and done something wrong), but the computer booted to Windows just fine. I Ejected the USB, restarted and now everything seems to be OK. What the...? All I had to do was threaten it with memtest86+ and it knew it had better straighten up and fly right?

Seriously, you guys think I might have a memory module about to go south? What did I do wrong with running memtest86+? did I download the wrong file?
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would say your system is just a little unstable still but not train smash unstable.

As to why memtest did not start I would suggest you need to select the usb drive it was installed on as the first boot drive.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ahh. You're right, HiVisMan. I just shut it down and went out to mow the yard. While I was mowing, I realized I had expected to have to enter the BIOS setup where I was going to change the boot order, but when it booted straight to Windows, it took me by surprise and I forgot all about it. This memory wasn't on ASUS's QVL for this board, but this board was on G.Skills QVL for this memory, so I figured it was a fairly safe bet because, hey, G.Skill. I couldn't think of anything else because it's been stable for days and through several RealBench tests. Anyway, thanks. I'll just wait until something clearly breaks I guess.

HiVizMan
Level 40
hehe no worries mate, it might just be your system needed to retain the IMC.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

IM2L844
Level 12
Well 2 complete passes of memtest86+ and zero errors is no guarantee, but gives me some peace of mind.

I guess If I'm going to continue playing around in the OC world, I'm gonna have to quit freaking out every time I encounter some odd little SNAFU. Probably goes with the territory, eh? Thanks again, HiVisMan.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OC is about the journey mate, not the end point. And that is something folks do not get big time. The journey is about getting to know your system, your components and how they all fit together. Change one and you have to re-learn all about your system all over again it seems. OC is about never reaching a plateau of knowing, because there is always something more to know to learn to invent at times if you are pretty smart or lucky. 🙂

It is a journey not an outcome.

IM2L844
Level 12
Ah, the Zen of overclocking. Makes sense. Maybe "Sensei" would be a more appropriate moniker. :cool: