cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero O/C and Tweaking

cartoonistas
Level 7
Hi, I recently joined and I am happy to be part of this forum,
I build the system of my signature coming from an old E8500 processor. I would like to ask anyone here to give me some advice regarding the o/king which I am performing for my rig.
Right now I am stable @4700 with llc5 and 1.375v. The problem is with the memory. I am currently running @ 2933 (XMP 3000) anything above could lead to a crash or boot error. I am not asking what to do about that because there are a lot of answers here that already mention the procedure of tweaking them. What I am asking is if there is a temporary solution to run my system in a protected environment so to avoid the risk of damaging my os due to blue screen and crashes. Also I would like to know if 1.375 v is safe for everyday use or should I experiment with lower juice.
Does overclocking cache has impact on performance or should I leave it to 41.
Thanks for reading my post.
9,874 Views
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
Hello cartoonistas,

Regarding the Vcore, 1.375V is perfectly safe for normal operation. You have nothing to worry about. Overclocking the cache yields some gain in benchmarking programs but not so much in real world usage. The core overclocking is where the performance is at. While overclocking, OS corruption is a possibility. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it unless you have an extra drive to install your OS on. Either that or do all your overclocking then reformat. 🙂

NemesisChild
Level 12
Just make it a habit to back up your data on a regular basis.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
OS: WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe M.2
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Just make it a habit to back up your data on a regular basis.


Thanks for your support!
@nemesisChild How have you managed to push your tridentz @3200 can you assist me to try something else?

cartoonistas wrote:
Thanks for your support!
@nemesisChild How have you managed to push your tridentz @3200 can you assist me to try something else?


I never use XMP profiles. I always manually input freq, voltage, and base timings in the bios.
Actually, I left SA Agent & VCCIO voltages on auto.

Which two memory slots are you using?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
OS: WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe M.2
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
I never use XMP profiles. I always manually input freq, voltage, and base timings in the bios.
Actually, I left SA Agent & VCCIO voltages on auto.

Which two memory slots are you using?


I manually achieved 2933. I am also of the same opinion about xmp. My slots occupy the first (near cpu) and the third. Does this make any difference??

cartoonistas wrote:
I manually achieved 2933. I am also of the same opinion about xmp. My slots occupy the first (near cpu) and the third. Does this make any difference??

Are you even running in dual channel? lol

The recommended slots are DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 which are the second and fourth slots from the CPU.

It worked!!! God Chino thanks for your advice! I suggest to to inform other people about that also. I am so old for that stuff,hehehe. 3000 on auto! Chino you are the best!

Chino
Level 15
When working with high frequency memory, the SA and IO voltages are what you need to tweak to achieve stability.

Chino wrote:
When working with high frequency memory, the SA and IO voltages are what you need to tweak to achieve stability.


Chino Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with that. Unfortunately my last attempt was 1.25 and 1.25
which led to failure. That's why i was asking about a protective environment to experiment various values 😉