Hi,

First of all here is the setup
Mobo: Maximus Vii hero
Cpu : i7 4790K
Ram : 4 x 4Gb Vengeance 1866 DDR3
PSU : Cooler Master V1200
GPU : Galax 1070 ex * 6
BIOS : Latest bios 3201

I am building my first mining rig, and has been trying to get all 6 cards running. I was able to get 5 cards running by adding one card at a time and let the system install their driver before adding the next card with default bios setting. the problem comes when I have to use the PCIEX1_1 lane, it will cause my system to recognize only 2 Gpus conneted to PCIEX16_1/PCIE8_1 and PCIEX8_2. have been trying to use 4g decoding but the pc wont boot up, keep restarting itself after ROG logo. been tinkering around with all the pch and pci setting in bios but no result.

Really curios on why the PCIE1_1 lane keep messing up the other card, it shutdowns all the other PCIE lanes except the PCIE8_1 and PCIE8_2 lane when gpu is connected to it, but even the gpu connectetd to that lane isn't showing. Please help
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hi Justherman92

Am I understanding you correctly that you're trying to run 6 gtx 1070's on a Maximus VII Hero ?

Nvidia supports up to 4-way sli with a proper cpu and motherboard, I don't see how using more than two Nvidia gpu's is possible with your machine.

Please enlighten us a little more on how you're using 5 Nvidia gpu's. 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
I know nothing about mining but a quick google search suggests only certain motherboards that can handle 6 GPU's
I can only assume that the way the board handles pcie lane distribution is the determining factor and as soon as you install a card in the top pcie slot it disables other slots, you probably either need to choose a different motherboard or use multiple systems with less GPU's per system