cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero not booting - q-code b2

emastro
Level 7
Hello there,

Just got a new Maximus VI Hero MB and I still haven't been able to make it boot. It starts what looks like the POST cycle but whatever I do it gets stuck at q-code b2, which according to the manual is "legacy option ROM initialization".

I've read other threads of people complaining of vaguely similar problems so I tried what was suggested there - clearing the CMOS memory (didn't help), flashing the BIOS (ditto), removing all USB peripherals that might cause trouble - i have a Razr keyboard and a Mad Catz mouse which I suppose are pretty non-standard, but nothing changed with all USB ports freed up - still stuck at b2.

I also read somewhere that the first boot ever may take longer than usual on these MBs, although I completely fail to see why, but a shower, a shave and a grocery shopping later it was still proudly displaying b2 and very determinedly not booting.

Am I doing something spectacularly stupid? (wouldn't be the first time)

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestion will be welcome

Thanks in advance

SOLVED:

Turns out the problem was insufficient power to the video card (Nvidia 780). Once that was fixed the system booted without any problems. The q-code is pretty misleading however
1 REPLY 1

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good for you having sorted it all out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.