cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero - Can I use a 4790K Chip?

PC4CAB
Level 7
Folks,

Just want to confirm if my mobo (Maximus VI Hero with Z87 Chipset) will support a 4790K?

Am I losing any performance by not getting a Z97 board? I have a truly lousy 4770K chip that I can't overclock past 4.2GHz, and the program I'm running (Microsoft Flight Simulator X) is almost entirely CPU bound, so the higher the speed, the better the performance, hence my interest in getting as high an OC as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
7 REPLIES 7

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Yes, the M6H will work fine with the 4790K. You will need to perform the necessary update using your 4770K beforehand. Please follow the procedure laid out in the beginning of the thread linked below.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48855-Must-Do-s-for-making-4790K-work-with-Maximus-VI-Mothe...

PC4CAB
Level 7
Thanks, found it and updated to MEI 1730 and BIOS 1505.

Praz
Level 13
You're welcome. 🙂

PC4CAB
Level 7
Is there any sort of p[performance hit with the 4790K on the Z87 chipset? I'm hoping to overclock to around 4.6GHz if possible. Hopefully I will win the chip lottery, as I certainly did not with my current 4770K!

Praz
Level 13
Hello

I haven't seen any hit. I currently have one installed in a Z87 Sabertooth at 4.7Ghz and memory at 2400MHz.

Thanks Praz!

Praz
Level 13
Good luck. 🙂