i7 4700K
16Gb GSkill Ram 1866Mhz
Maximus VI Formula
Corsair H100i WC
Samsung 250Gb Evo Pro SSD
WD 2TB Green
NZXT Phantom 410
GTX 770

I overclocked my CPU to 4.1 GHZ at 1.7V and on running Prime 95 at full load I am getting temp readings on Real Temp of 75 C maximum. Temps dont exceed 75 C and are around 69 C maximum on the 3rd and 4th core.....Is this a good overclock or a bad overclock....? I'm new at this and so wanted to know if the results are good.....I would really appreciate your help.....
Thnx....
4 REPLIES 4

Antronman
Level 10
"Evo Pro"? I think you just mean EVO. The voltage is really, really, really high. But the temps are great.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sincerly hope that 1.7 is a typo.... Please do not set voltage that high.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

PowerOver9K
Level 9
sahil1105 wrote:
Guys I just bought my first assembled PC with the following specs:
i7 4700K
16Gb GSkill Ram 1866Mhz
Maximus VI Formula
Corsair H100i WC
Samsung 250Gb Evo Pro SSD
WD 2TB Green
NZXT Phantom 410
GTX 770

I overclocked my CPU to 4.1 GHZ at 1.7V and on running Prime 95 at full load I am getting temp readings on Real Temp of 75 C maximum. Temps dont exceed 75 C and are around 69 C maximum on the 3rd and 4th core.....Is this a good overclock or a bad overclock....? I'm new at this and so wanted to know if the results are good.....I would really appreciate your help.....
Thnx....

Your volts are way too high. Use the guide below as a guide for that board. (It's for Extreme but bios options are almost the same). Oh you got the EVO Pro? I almost bought that one but chose EVO instead. You like it?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Haswell_OC_Guide/
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

HiVizMan
Level 40
This is the set up I would use.

XMP profile as my mode of OC - this sorts out my memory frequency and settings.
Multiplier set to 42x this allow 4200MHz for your core.
LLC or load level calibration I set at medium or regular, 4 or 5 on some bios options. This provides some flattening out of the Intel design feature vDdroop but still gives me the benefits of that design feature.
Voltage I like to use the offset method. This allows me the full dynamic range of the C states and the luxury of having the upper levels available when under max load.

So voltage mode to offset, then positive offset + and 0.020 as my starting point.

Here after i boot to OS and run some small stress test, and if I pass I leave well alone, if not and I need additional voltage I simply increase the amount of positive voltage.

As a rule of thumb I do not want my 24/7 system to have voltage over 1.420 nor temps at idle/load higher than 30/80'c

It is a good idea not to rely on one stress test alone, nor is it a good idea to cook your CPU for days on end. In my view stress tests have their place in the process but the ultimate test is the real world. If your system does what you want it to do without fault or error then your system is stable.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.