cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Extreme Z87 - 4790K OC HELP

Char82
Level 7
I am new to the PC MasterRace thing, and I desire greatly to overclock my CPU as well as my GPU's. I would greatly appreciate your
assistance.

I have the Following:

CPU: 4790K
MB: Maximus VI Extreme
GPU: 4-way SLI GTX 980
SSD: 120GB 850 EVO
Cooler:H100i
RAM: (2x8GB) Dominator Platinum 1866
PSU:AX1200i

Thanks,

Char
48,824 Views
84 REPLIES 84

Nate152
Moderator
Hello Char82

You should have probably put this in the overclocking section, if a moderator moves it he will tell us.

First things first, download these four programs.


1) ROG realbench

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

2) ROG cpu-z

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/CPU-Z-ROG.shtml

3) realtemp 3.70

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Real-Temp.shtml


4) EVGA precision x 16 this will be for overclocking your gpu's


http://www.updatestar.com/topic/precision%20x%2016%20download

When you get these installed report here and let me know.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Char82

You should have probably put this in the overclocking section, if a moderator moves it he will tell us.

First things first, download these four programs, these will be for overclocking your cpu.


1) ROG realbench

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

2) ROG cpu-z

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/CPU-Z-ROG.shtml

3) realtemp 3.70

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Real-Temp.shtml


4) EVGA precision x 16 this will be for overclocking your gpu's


http://www.updatestar.com/topic/precision%20x%2016%20download

When you get these installed report here and let me know.


I apologize for the wrong section. I do not use forums often. I have got the programs downloaded.

Char82
Level 7
I apologize for the wrong section. I do not use forums often. I have got the programs downloaded.

Nate152
Moderator
It shouldn't be a problem doing it here.

OK great !

Let's try a run at stock settings first just to see where your temps are. The temperature controls how far you can overclock your cpu and gpu's

If everthing is set to defaults in the bios except your ram at 1866MHz open up realbench real temp and and cpu - z.

On realbench click on stress test, turn it white and select how many GB of ram you have, the 15 minute test is fine. Click start and monitor temps with real temp and glance at cpu-z to see what the core voltage is showing.

When the test has finished Post the maximum temps real temp is showing and what the cpu core voltage was showing please.

Nate152 wrote:
It shouldn't be a problem doing it here.

OK great !

Let's try a run at stock settings first just to see where your temps are. The temperature controls how far you can overclock your cpu and gpu's

If everthing is set to defaults in the bios except your ram at 1866MHz open up realbench real temp and and cpu - z.

On realbench click on stress test, turn it white and select how many GB of ram you have, the 15 minute test is fine. Click start and monitor temps with real temp and glance at cpu-z to see what the core voltage is showing.

When the test has finished Post the maximum temps real temp is showing and what the cpu core voltage was showing please.



On laptop~looks like I am at 1.264V and my temps are rising still. Currently at 93, 92, 87, 77. That's after 3 minutes.

Char82 wrote:
On laptop~looks like I am at 1.264V and my temps are rising still. Currently at 93, 92, 87, 77. That's after 3 minutes.


Alright... 8 minutes in and still rising. Currently at:

96, 97, 90, 80

Nate152
Moderator
Hmm your temps are high for 1.264v. With the H100i cooler I would expect to see temps in the 70's on all 4 cores.

Can I ask how you applied the thermal compound to your cpu?

And this is with your maximus vi extreme not a laptop correct?

Nate152 wrote:
Hmm your temps are high for 1.264v. With the H100i cooler I would expect to see temps in the 70's on all 4 cores.

Can I ask how you applied the thermal compound to your cpu?

And this is with your maximus vi extreme not a laptop correct?


Correct. We are overclocking the maximus vi. I just used the h100i compound that came stock with the cooler.

Realtemp reads at the top:

4790k 4400.02MHz 100.00 x 44.0

Char82
Level 7
Full 15 minutes completed.

Following temps:

96, 97, 91, 80