cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme's Intel Gigabit ethernet controller

billyray520
Level 10
I've been having a problem with my internet going very slow with "connecting" and often timing out with "server not found."

I don't have the problem on any other PC on my home network. I am connected by ethernet cable to my Motorola cable router/modem.

The problem is maddening because it is intermittent. But more than 50% of the time, this problem surfaces.

I ran the diagnostics on the card's using the driver's software and everything seems good. I can also connect using the included mPCIe Broadcom wireless module and the problem goes away.

For that reason I have eliminated any Windows settings, or DNS bottlenecks, or internet traffic as the source of the problem. I have also exchanged the ethernet cable for a bigger stouter brand new one, as well as switching to different ports on the CMRG (Cable modem router gateway) and the problem persists.

Right now I am using the wireless connection, and it is fast and trouble free.

So my question is, can anything be done to check the onboard Intel Gigabit hardware? The driver software doesn't see any problems.

Can I be overlooking some other possible problem?

After some more investigating I found a new driver on the ASUS website for the Intel 82579V gigabit controller. It also recommended an NVRAM update too. While doing that I also added SNMP service to Windows so I could see what the driver is saying is happening. The driver updates did not help. But I now know that the DNS servers are not responding when the problem occurs. But these are the same DNS servers being used by my wireless Broadcom connection, as well as all of the other PC's on the home LAN. Still seems to be a problem with the Intel controller..
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7
0 REPLIES 0