cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Electric Current...

sk00ld
Level 7
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the fan of my cpu cooler, a Cooler Master 212 EVO.
My question is about the amperage ability of the CPU fan PWM connector on a Maximus V Formula.

The stock fan is 12V & 0.37A, and it keeps falling under the 600rpm alarm speed and the temperatures of the CPU are not where I would like them to be. The fans I am looking at range from 12V 1.6A up to 4.8A.

Does anyone know what the maximum amperage the PWM connector can handle?

Thanks for any suggestions.
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
What I would rather you did was set the RPM of your fan higher.

There is no need for a fan that uses more than 1 amp. If you do then I am pretty certain you will burn out a fan header. Heck even my delta's which are 212cfm do not use more than a single amp.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
What I would rather you did was set the RPM of your fan higher.

There is no need for a fan that uses more than 1 amp. If you do then I am pretty certain you will burn out a fan header. Heck even my delta's which are 212cfm do not use more than a single amp.

Hello and thanks for the postings.

As of this moment I have an Antec dual ball bearing 125mm x 25, 2000RPM (1806 actual), 79 CFM, 0.24A fan on the cooler. My temps just are not where I want them to be.

Incidentally Zka17 mentioned fan noise as an issue. It's not, being worried about fan noise is for the people that want their laptop to match some art piece they have in an opposite corner of the room while simultaneously contrasting their lap-dogs collar color. If you ears are that delicate you can buy sound dampening for your rig at FrozenCPU.

There is conflicting information in these replies. First off the fans I have had my eye on are Delta brand that can be purchased from FrozenCPU.com.

HiVizMan states they have a 212CFM fan, assuming is a 120mm. Anything smaller than 120mm that pushed 212cfm would rival a vacuum cleaner in dB and have no market place. That said, the Delta 125mm x 25mm, which is the generic width for computer case & cpu cooler 120mm fans, pushes 113.11 CFM and it uses 0.80A.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8565/fan-531/Delta_120_x_25mm_High_Speed_PWM_Fan_-_11311_CFM_AFC12...

Now if we step it up a notch to a Delta fan 125mm x 25mm that is pushing 150CFM the amperage goes up to 1.74A.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7759/fan-471/Delta_120_x_25mm_Extreme_High-Speed_Fan_-_15033_CFM_F...

The Delta 120mm x 38mm fan listed as a direct replacment for the Dell Dimention computers is rated at 1.60A. I find it hard to believe that Dell produces a sturdier motherboard than Asus' RoG line.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8551/fan-530/Delta_120_x_38mm_4_Pin_Dell_Replacement_Fan_-_14834_C...

The one I'm looking at replacing the Antec with is 3.24A...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7920/fan-493/Delta_120_x_38mm_Super_Extreme_High-Speed_Fan_-_24096...

To sum it up, does anyone have any accurate information on the maximum amperage limit of the cpu fan PWM header, from Asus maybe or a link to current specs stating what the limit is?

Has anyone actually had a 120mm, 200+ CFM fan connected to this board?

Thanks

sk00ld wrote:
To sum it up, does anyone have any accurate information on the maximum amperage limit of the cpu fan PWM header

Chino has already stated accurate info for the current capability of the header.

Praz wrote:
Chino has already stated accurate info for the current capability of the header.

First, thanks for the replies.

As far as I can tell what Chino stated was an opinion.

You must not have read where I stated the Dell replacement fan uses 1.60A, which in turn would mean if Chino was in fact correct, Dell manufactures computers with mainboards that can handle more amperage than Asus' top line of mainboards. Also Chino has not posted a link to any technical documentation which states that it is a 1A maximum. If it turns out that the PWM header can only handle 1A, then I will replace the cooler to ge to the temps I want.
While opinions are ok, it's not what I'm looking for here.

@Zka17 When I'm using my 2-cycle weed wacker around my house, I use ear plugs. When I'm out in my shops machine room using a router or a planer I use ear plugs. Computer case fans are not an issue.

Back on topic, someone that has used these fans or has some experience in this matter would help out greatly.

Thanks

Chino
Level 15
sk00ld wrote:

Does anyone know what the maximum amperage the PWM connector can handle?

1A maximum. You'll need to invest in a fan controller for anything higher.

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, the max amperage on those mobo headers is 1 Amp!

That alarm speed you're getting is pretty common... the stock mobo settings are for a min of 600 rpm... - you can do two things from here: 1. lower this min rpm; 2. increase your fan speed above 600 rpm

Those 12V fans with 1.6-4.8 Amps perhaps are some fans for industrial purposes - the problem with them will be the huge noise level... you can set them as Chino said, through a fan controller or directly connected to the PSU (no speed control in that way), but neither you and your family/neighbors will be happy with the noise...

Zka17
Level 16
LOL, it's OK if you like noise... consider yourself warned... 🙂 Believe me, the Delta fans are noisy... do you know what exactly 62 dBA means?! - but it is your choice...

If the noise does not bother you, you can always connect the fans directly to the PSU - they will run at their max capacity all the time... most fans comes with those adapters for 3/4-pin to molex, if you don't have, you can get it from frozencpu (that Delta fan you're looking at has the molex connector)

Do not connect that Delta fan to your mobo's header!!!

samual
Level 11
I have 3 delta fans on my black ice stealth, I use a sythe fan controller to turn them down when i'm not onverclocking, otherwise they are very loud. They have great static pressure.
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

Zka17
Level 16
sk00ld, Chino is knowing that the mobo's fan headers are 1 Amp, because he read the mobo's manual... - page #1-41: "The CPU_FAN connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12W) fan power."

This question came up multiple times here on the Forum and we were told by Asus people that actually all the fan headers supports max of 1 Amp...

But you have not mentioned yet what are exactly your temps... and the ambient temp... and your CPU frequency/voltage - those are important for us to assess if you really have problems with the temps...