cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS IV HERO - Set CPU fan speed regulation to voltage

MattDeox
Level 7
Hello,

I've just setup my computer and used Fan Xpert 2 to tweak my fan speeds.

I'm using a corsair h105 aio water cooler as cpu cooler.
The pump has a 3 pin fan connector and is connected to CPU_FAN. The two fans cooling the radiator are PWM controlled and are connected to CPU_OPT.

Now why is the CPU_OPT rpm showing in Fan Xpert 2 while I cannot really control the rpm. Only CPU_FAN and Chassis fan 1-3 is possible.

Back to my actual problem: Because the 3 pin pump connector is connected to the PWM CPU_FAN it is always running at full speed and cannot be controlled with fan xpert.
I've read that I could set the CPU_FAN's rpm to be controlled via voltage but I didn't find the setting for that.
Could somebody tell me where to look?

Also if I set the CPU_FAN to be voltage controlled, will the CPU_OPT PWM header still use PWM or will it also use voltage?

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3

Veracis
Level 7
Why not just put the pump on the CPU_OPT and the Radiator Fans on the CPU_Fan? Thats what I have done.
i7-4770k @4.2 | EVGA 780ti | Maximus VI Hero | Seasonic 1000W Platinum | Seidon 120v AIO
Trident X 16GB 2400 | Samsung EVO 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | CM 690 III

Logitech G400 Mouse | G710 Keyboard | Razor gaming headset
ROG Swift pg278q G-Sync Monitor

jab383
Level 13
I think you want the pump to run at full speed all the time for proper cooling. I suggest connecting it to a PSU molex for power rather than the motherboard. The pump could be connected to a chassis fan header set to run 100% at all temperatures. You could then monitor the pump rpm.

PWM fans are just what the CPU_FAN header is there for. The CPU_OPT is a mirror of the _FAN header and not independently controlled. Setting to voltage control will effect both headers.

Jeff

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
MattDeox wrote:
Hello,

I've just setup my computer and used Fan Xpert 2 to tweak my fan speeds.

I'm using a corsair h105 aio water cooler as cpu cooler.
The pump has a 3 pin fan connector and is connected to CPU_FAN. The two fans cooling the radiator are PWM controlled and are connected to CPU_OPT.

Now why is the CPU_OPT rpm showing in Fan Xpert 2 while I cannot really control the rpm. Only CPU_FAN and Chassis fan 1-3 is possible.

Back to my actual problem: Because the 3 pin pump connector is connected to the PWM CPU_FAN it is always running at full speed and cannot be controlled with fan xpert.
I've read that I could set the CPU_FAN's rpm to be controlled via voltage but I didn't find the setting for that.
Could somebody tell me where to look?

Also if I set the CPU_FAN to be voltage controlled, will the CPU_OPT PWM header still use PWM or will it also use voltage?

Thanks in advance

The CPU fan header has a little switch on it. It can tell if you have a three pin or 4 pin fan connector plugged into it. It will control the CPU fan wit voltage if it detects 3 pin, or PWM if it detects 4.

There is no independent control of fan speed on CPU-OPT, it runs at whatever speed cpu fan does. I imagine it also runs in what ever mode Cpu fan does - voltage or PWM, depending what is plugged int o CPU fan.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case