cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M8 Alpha + 6600k + Trident Z 3400mhz kit abnormally high Vcore?

SinisterDev85
Level 11
I've been having a bit of trouble tuning my new rig. Still familiarizing myself with all the changes from my Z87 build.
I thought I had the system pretty stable. However, once i started looking more into manual cpu OC, it seems like my Vcore is way too high compared to what I see others saying. For starters, I cannot seem to get the system stable on Adaptive or Offset, which is really odd.
On Auto, sitting in the UEFI, Its saying my Vcore is 1.424. While under load, both Cpuz and Intel XTU showed the core reaching 1.456v under full load. The reason i wasn't immediately alarmed by this during early testing is, despite that high voltage, my cores never went over 62C, thanks to my H110i gtx.

I had the computer fairly stable @4.6 with the XMP enabled at 3400mhz, I did some mild testing and a bunch of real-world stability tests over the weekend. I played Fallout 4 all day with not even a hiccup. However, once i realized how high the voltage was going on Auto, I decided to do more research and perform more manual tuning. That's when the real headaches began.

I can't seem to get the darn thing to post on anything but auto settings. I disabled XMP. Let the ram run @2133 and started tuning just the cpu. No matter what i tried, Adaptive or Offset voltage leads to an "Overclock failed press F1" message or a stuck boot logo. I tried recommended settings that I've seen in Videos, all to no avail. I ried lowering LLC to 5 instead of leaving that on auto. The voltages were still going up to 1.4+

Most of my bios settings are on auto. Llc is set to 5, i changed cpu phase to optimized based on some recommendations I read. Dram phase was set to extreme by default, is that normal? I'm not familiar with tuning this new DDR4 ram, but I'd like to get it running at rated speeds and get a good cpu overclock.
ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero Apex | Intel i9 11900k @5.5ghz | G. Skill Trident Z 32gb@4000mhz | WD SN850x 4gb/WD SN850 2gb | Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1300w | Windows 11 Pro
16 REPLIES 16

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Another issue ive been having while trying different settings is my bios randomly freezing up too. Im running the newest 1402 bios btw.
ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero Apex | Intel i9 11900k @5.5ghz | G. Skill Trident Z 32gb@4000mhz | WD SN850x 4gb/WD SN850 2gb | Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1300w | Windows 11 Pro

Nate152
Hello SinisterDev85

These skylake cpu's must like voltage. I was overclocking my 6700k but before I did I let everything on auto and set the windows power plan to high performance and the voltage shot to 1.44v. My overclock ended up at 4.7GHz with 1.43v to boot to windows, to play any games it needs 1.45v which isn't that great but it's stable and still fast enough. I'm not even going to run a stress test because I know it will need even more voltage. I can't boot to windows at 4.8GHz with 1.50v so I'm stuck at 4.7GHz.

If you're BSODing/freezing all you can really do is either back down the frequency or feed it more voltage. Once you get your cpu stable then start working with the ram.

I like the new maximus viii formula it's a great motherboard but it looks like intel handed us cpu's from the bottom of the barrel. 😄

SinisterDev85
Level 11
I'm wondering if part of the stability problem, memory wise at least, is the XMP profile that's appearing for this ram. The XMP is saying timings of 16-18-18-38 - 1
But upon looking up tuning information for this ram, Im seeing it being tested on several websites at command rate 2, not 1.
One in particular benched it at 3400mhz @ 16-16-16-32 - 2. Perhaps i should just try manual tuning?

Either way, I know that doesn't resolve my core voltage issue. But I seem to be having issues with both the cpu and ram, so I figured Id mention anything odd i come across.

Nate152
Yeah most definitely try setting your ram manually, for 3400MHz you'll likely need to raise the vccio and cpu system agent voltage. I'd say around 1.20 - 1.25v for vccio and the same for the cpu system agent voltage, try both at 1.20v first, command rate of 2 will will help also.

I have 2400MHz ram overclocked to 3100MHz 15-15-15-30 command rate 2 Dram voltage 1.35v. You can try the Dram voltage up to 1.40v if it's still giving you trouble.

Any recommendations for UEFI settings that i should take off of auto or change from the optimized defaults?
I noticed there's some interesting new settings Im curious about. The Cpu power phase control for example. It has Power phase response mode with a variety of response time settings. Not familiar with any of that. I wish there was a guide similar to the one on here for the Z87 and Z97 boards, which goes over the details and recommendations for each individual bios setting. I like familiarizing myself with everything.

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Thanks Nate. I've been trying to follow the Asus Skylake overclocking guide. I guess you're right about some skylakes being voltage hogs! I just FINALLY got to the desktop! Everthing on auto. Multipliers on 47x. Adaptive voltage @ 1.45 and voila! It needed that extra .050. This is the first time I've been able to make it past post on Adaptive! Phew! Well, that's one small victory.
Now the question is, will I be able to keep it at 4.7 if i start tuning the Ram? I gues im going to find out! I'll try manually setting up the ram now.

Nate152
I have mine set to power phase response and ultra fast. Most other settings you can let on auto, you only need to adjust the main ones.

These are the main ones for the cpu

multiplier
vcore
LLC
cpu current capability 140%
power phase response (if you want)

For the ram

frequency
Dram voltage
timings
vccio voltage
cpu system agent voltage
Dram current capability 130%

The whole reason i sprung for the 3400 kit ( aside from the amazing sale they were on) was because from what I read, the 3200 kit was pretty much pushing the absolute limit of what the kit was capeable of. However several sources recommended the 3400 for that price range because that kit had some headroom for pushing beyond 3400. Ive seen a few sites say they pushed them to around 3600 on some systems.

In other words, people had a more difficult time getting the 3200 kit to run at their rated XMP speeds, while most had an easier time with the 3400. It was making me crazy that they didn't seem to wanna make post even underclocked. I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with them. My Trident X's were a piece of cake to run at XMP and beyond!

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Ah Nate, you're my knight in shining armor once again ahahaha! That did the trick! I wish i could give you more Rep, but apparently I have to spread some more around first. I tried a number of different manual settings but couldn't get the Ram any higher than 3200mhz . I switched the CPU and Dram Current capability to their max % and viola! Im @ 4.7ghz with XMP enabled at a full 3403mhz! Woot woot! Now I can focus on fine tuning from here! Thanks a Million Bro!

I feel like a doofus for not attempting to turn up those two settings! Lol, guess i watched too many videos saying how easy it is to get everything working right and to leave pretty much everything on auto haha.