cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to lower CPU vCore on i7-4790k DC

MonaroLS
Level 7
Hi Chaps (and Ladies)

I have a Maximus Hero Vll mainboard (See specs in sig) and I currently run this on my FlightSim (FSX) only PC. it is currently running FSX without issue on 4 or 5 hour flights. It's clocked at 4.7Ghz with 1.361v vCore (Auto setting in the vCore field). The temps get to around 68-72 currently with a Noctua NH-12 cooler and 5 case fans. In an effort to try to lower temperatures (Ambient temps can get very warm in Perth, LoL) I would like to see if it would be possible to slightly lower the vCore voltage, but when I put in Manual, and set the new lower voltage, it dosn't seem to stick and it keeps reverting back to 1.361. I would also like to ensure that even if I select manual, the PC will throttle down to its sub 800Mhz when idle. I think i'm setting the wrong field or something, not sure about this offset thingy.Thanks for any help 🙂 Cheers Chris
2x Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2A2133C11 XMP set
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi MonaroLS,

Probably best to look for lowest manual voltage after you have set LLC to a mid range/ MED value...otherwise board might set high LLC and counter your voltage drops. Disable CPU spread spectrum.

Then try Manual voltage to find your stable lowest level. Check what CPUz is reporting.

Manual voltage disables speedstep so you have to find what offset/adaptive gives you back this minimum found voltage...a bit of trial and error with values will give you this...then speedstep will work again.

🙂

MonaroLS
Level 7
Thanks Arne, Ill give it a try 🙂 Cheers Chris