cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kinda dissapointed

infamous
Level 8
so maybe its me, but im a little upset that my new p8z77-v pro came with a single band wireless card, and the lan seems unable to use a 5GHz frequency. dont get me wrong, so far no problems, but i guess i expected more. hell, my 2011 alienware laptop has a dual band card. ALSO, i have repeatedly tried to use the autotune, first on fast, then on extreme. the only result is a shut down, reboot, nothing. i got a little oc, but it does not continue to attempt to bump up as it should. i do not even get a oc completed successfully message. im a little dissapointed in my first asus mobo purchase. with all that said, if im a moron and am missing something, please tell me what im doing wrong. even the ROG page on Facebook gave me an oc guide for sandy bridge and the maximus gene iv, AFTER i told them i had a 3570k and the p8z77.
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Re. The OC profiles, they are very voltage happy probably and if you are not using adequate cooling the board will throttle you due to heat or simply not post. You have to have a good fan over the VRM etc. Often the extreme profiles are there for liquid nitrogen cooling!! OCing is a sensitive thing best investigated thoroughly and set up manually. Works better that way and is a whole lot more satisfying!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Re. The OC profiles, they are very voltage happy probably and if you are not using adequate cooling the board will throttle you due to heat or simply not post. You have to have a good fan over the VRM etc. Often the extreme profiles are there for liquid nitrogen cooling!! OCing is a sensitive thing best investigated thoroughly and set up manually. Works better that way and is a whole lot more satisfying!

I have the H100, so cooling is not an issue. The auto tuner is extreme tab is NOT for liquid nitro cooling. Extreme in autotuner is meant to oc a little at a time, rebooting 4 or 5 times to set the oc in the bios and start again. each time finding the sweet spot and moving up. it sets clock speed, voltage, and dimm speed. this video by newegg tv with an Asus associate present shows what I'm talking about.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

I have the H100, so cooling is not an issue. The auto tuner is extreme tab is NOT for liquid nitro cooling. Extreme in autotuner is meant to oc a little at a time, rebooting 4 or 5 times to set the oc in the bios and start again. each time finding the sweet spot and moving up. it sets clock speed, voltage, and dimm speed. this video by newegg tv with an Asus associate present shows what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mkGQhE1o2w

infamous wrote:
I have the H100, so cooling is not an issue. The auto tuner is extreme tab is NOT for liquid nitro cooling. Extreme in autotuner is meant to oc a little at a time, rebooting 4 or 5 times to set the oc in the bios and start again. each time finding the sweet spot and moving up. it sets clock speed, voltage, and dimm speed. this video by newegg tv with an Asus associate present shows what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mkGQhE1o2w

Ah, OK I'm confusing profiles with software tuning though they wont be worlds apart. The H100 is OK but many have poved not to cope with high voltage so well. Having one does not mean extra cooling is not required. OCing you should be cooling the VRM or you may have temp problems....

Thanks for all the info guys. as of right now, i'm an 4.2GHz, using 1.25v. thats what i got from the autotuner. in the morning I'm going to bring the voltage down to 1.15. I'm not under full load a lot, so I'm not worried. as far as the ssd not showing up, its not affecting anything as of yet, still boots off of it so...lol. and ahci is default on this board.

@ MARSHALLR@ASUS, please dont think i'm trying to be argumentative. Just trying to get the facts straight. I bow to superior knowledge. Which most ppl on here probably have. I do appreciate the help, and the info.

OH, does anybody know how to get more bandwidth wirelessly or LAN??? I do a LOT of downloading, and am used to getting my 5GHz.

X-ROG
Level 15
I explained the on the Facebook page the UEFI principles are the same between 2500k and 3570k. The main CPU voltage and clock settings are also identically listed between the P8Z77 and Maximus IV GENE series if you compare them. If you really want to overclock you must aim to learn the nuances of voltage, temperature and adding CPU multiplier. I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with your autotune, maybe you have something preventing AI Suite II from restarting with Windows.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
I explained the on the Facebook page the UEFI principles are the same between 2500k and 3570k. The main CPU voltage and clock settings are also identically listed between the P8Z77 and Maximus IV GENE series if you compare them. If you really want to overclock you must aim to learn the nuances of voltage, temperature and adding CPU multiplier. I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with your autotune, maybe you have something preventing AI Suite II from restarting with Windows.

the bios principles may be the same. but we are not talking about bios. we are talking about the difference in the way sandy bridge and ivy bridge react to ocing. i am not asking about auto tuning because i do not know how to oc manually. 4.4 will run on 1.15 all day long. i am asking because i like the idea of the software, and it is included. so i felt that is should work.

on another note, i just updated to bios 1406 and am getting a weird glitch. in the bios it says my boot priority starts with my 2tb caviar black, and does not list my samsung 830 at all, no recognition. but when i boot, it starts right up on the samsung. it doesnt affect anything, just thought it was weird. could that be because my boot drive is in the asmedia port instead of the intel?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Re boot driver that is correct. As you have your primary OS drive located in the Asmedia port the behaviour you are seeing is normal.

Please do not confuse OC profiles with Auto Tuning. They are distinctly different. If you are not sure which is which have a read in your User Manual pretty much all the information you are looking for is contained therein.

And finally - the way your manually overclock an Ivy CPU is exactly the same as the way you would overclock a SandyBridge CPU. The guides are interchangeable.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.