I ordered the exact same board with an i7-2600k from Newegg just last Friday. My package will be here tomorrow, and I'm in a quandary about whether I should refuse the package or not. Waiting the past 4 days was hard enough. I can't imagine waiting another couple of months! haha Considering it's an "over time" degradation bug, I think there's a possibility I'll just keep and use it until Asus can provide me with a fix. Any information you guys can provide here will be helpful. Will also help keep the support email open. I'll be contacting support if I haven't heard anything by the end of today.
After reading that, I think I am going to accept the shipment. I've only got 2 SATA HDD's and one SATA Optical. As long as there's no physical damage to the drives, then I don't mind using it until Asus gives us some more info on what to do.
I am in a similar situation with a P8P67 WS Revolution R. From my the various articles that I have read on this issue, it is only the 3gb/s sata controller that is affected. So for the time being moving everything to the 6gb/s sata ports should prevent any issues
I guess that makes me feel better. I'll probably still build my new machine and just swap out the board when ASUS communicates what their plan is. I will only have 2 drives anyway (SSD for OS & 1TB HDD for data).
For now retailer wont be able to do anything. Until intel set the call back program in place. This might take 1 or 2 week. You can always contact your retailer but they will probably tell you use it normally now and we will contact you when more info are in.
You cans ee my post in the news section at the bottom of the forum for info about manufacturer and retailer.
Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |