cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Core i7 4790K temps

izzer
Level 7
Hey guys,

I have a ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO MoBo with Intel Core i7 4790K CPU.
I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 103 cooler sitting on the CPU ( I got it for free with the CPU ).

I have optimized defaults in BIOS, except I set XMP for RAM.

In Windows (even BIOS) when the CPU is idle, the temps are at 37-40 degrees. I noticed that when I played CS:GO, temps were around 60 degrees, maybe higher (I think I saw 70 there). I thought that is little too much for that game so I ran some Prime95 stress test and temps boosted to 90+. Someone wrote that the newer versions of Prime95 are a little bit more stressful for Haswell so I ran some AIDA64 test.

In seconds (maybe second) the temperature topped at 70+- degrees. Some of the cores were at 80 degrees.

Here is a image of the temps:
http://www.imagehosting.cz/?v=aidatemps.png

On intel's page the temperature before it's going to throttle is 72,5 degress I think.
Should I be worried? Maybe reapply thermal paste? Or is it normal?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
You're welcome and nice job getting temps lower.

I doubt you will get temps any better with a 120mm radiator liquid cooler. Stick with what you have, in fact your 4790k is getting over volted some at stock settings. You could either overclock it a little or drop the voltage to 1.15v - 1.20v, this will lower temps a little more but you're perfectly fine where your temps are.

Gaming temps in the low 50's is great and that says you have some room to overclock.

izzer
Level 7
Just some final questions:

1) Why is the air coming out of the case cool even when the CPU has like 60C. Laptops (mine too) are emitting hot air like crazy even when not so hot. Before reapplying the compound I noticed that the cooler was not even close to be hot even though the CPU had 72 degrees, it was "warm" (not hot) after like 30 minutes of stress test. Haven't tried to touch it after reapplying, but I guess it's not going to be as hot as the CPU is. 😄

2) A lot of temps... really, I understand that there is 4 cores, so 4 temps for 4 cores. Then there is one for CPU, then CPU package and so on.. Using AIDA64 atm for temp measurement.

There's (aside from other temps, like MoBo, VRM, GPU, SSD, HDD)..
CPU, CPU Package, CPU IA Cores, CPU GT Cores, 1. core, 2. core, 3.core, 4. core

CPU temp is lower than the lowest temperature on any core. Which of this actually matters? I was reporting you the "CPU" one, even though cores had more and Package too.

Which of the temps should I be looking at?

3) Underclocking? Well, I could turn off the Turbo mode to lower the temps in load, isn't that right? Turbo mode is in other words a stock OC, eh? 😄

Nate152
Cores 1,2,3 and 4 are the temps you want to watch I would imagine, I don't have aida64 I use real temp for cpu temp monitoring but the core temps are what you want to pay attention to.

You're temps are perfectly fine where they are though.

Let turbo enabled, your cpu will only run at 4.0GHz instead of boosting to 4.4GHz with it disabled.

I'll say again your temps are fine and I think you're worrying a bit too much, stress testing temps will always be high because it's putting 100% load on your cpu. Gaming will probably be the most stressfull thing you do on your pc and it will average from 30%-60% cpu usage depending on the game therefore temps won't be near as high and 72c at 100% load is great temps.

You actually have a little room to overclock your cpu if you wanted.

What you can do is overclock your cpu until temps hit 70 - 75c when playing games but stress testing temps will hit 90c. It's up to you and not necessary, I'm just saying you could and your temps are perfectly fine where they are.

izzer
Level 7
CPU Cores are about 70C, but sometimes peak 80C+ for a while in stress test.

OK, I'll leave it as it is now. Not planning to overclock in near furure, not with this cooler and ---> For me, step (rly - i would call it a JUMP) from Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 to this Devil. I quite don't need any more performance for now. 🙂 OK, thanks again.

Yeah, I do worry much, cause it's quite a expensive piece of hardware for me. 🙂 And with everyone reporting their temps so low I started to worry if I don't have like some "bad" piece.

Good to know that it's normal. Thanks Nety152 once again 🙂

izzer
Level 7
I don't know how Killing Floor 2 is "CPU-demanding", but I guess... not much.

http://www.imagehosting.cz/?v=tempskf2.png (Temps went higher cause I ALT-TABed out of the game, It was around 36C each core while ingame)

These are the temps while gaming. I've got two monitors, so I placed the sensors on the other one to watch it while gaming. Temps were pretty much lower than I wrote last time.

It was reseted while ingame, so all the temps there are from the game. Most of the time, the temps were lower than 50C.. sometimes even lower than 40 as you can see. Mostly around 40C I would say with peaks to 50C+.

I rearranged my fans in the case too, so.. I think I did a good job. Temps in idle sometimes go under 30C 🙂 so.. yeah

I guess I'm gonna leave this Thread "dead" from now on 🙂

Bye and thanks