cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i9 7980xe and Overcloking problem

Silencer
Level 7
Hello,

I kind a need a help to figure out what is going on. I have run many guides, listen to every tip that ppl posted on this forum but I have some really bad luck in overclocking my i9 7980xe.

So the system:
CPU: i9 7980xe
Mobo: Asus rog strix x299-xe gaming - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X299-XE-GAMING/
Memory: 32gb Kingston 2400mhz (running as XMP -2400)
PSU: Thermaltake 1000w Gold
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 280mm using 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000

So what is stable atm - Everything in BIOS is on auto, just XMP is enabled and sync all cores 40x, what gives me 4ghz. run the tests, put the load on my pc over night all works great. CPU Temp hits around 70c max when it is on load, as for idle it's 35c.

Now when I want to OC cpu to 4.1ghz and when I do intel burn in test, after few passes I get restart (not a shutdown bsod or system freeze, just like I have pressed a reset button on the case). If I put 4.2, after few sec. and for 4.4ghz it will be like as soon as I click start 1 sec after that PC restarts.

So I can't confirm or understand what is the issue atm, Could the problem be thermal part, that I need higher AIO, but I already see some peple reaching 4.4ghz with silly AIO systems with i9 7980xe .

Also I have try vcore to 1.350, input cpu voltage to 1.9, LLC level to 6, disabling cpu SVID support, Intel speedstep technology, CPU Current capability to 140% and vram spread spectrum to disable.

None of this help me get more power, so anyone has any tips. Or I just need to move to custom watercooling ?
10 REPLIES 10

Nicklas0912
Level 7
That is really werid.

Did you check your VRM temps?

Im useing Rampage VI Apex and a 7980 XE @ 4.4Ghz 24/7 1.170 volt and 4.9Ghz for bench " 1.343 volt" without any problems.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Have you checked your temps at the latter settings when running stress tests? Package temps? That AIO is borderline for this CPU, if not a little underwhelming.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silencer
Level 7
Hey atm my system is clocked on 3.8ghz and VRP temp on idle is 36c, while on full load it reaches 50c (if I can trust Asus AI Suite 3 that show VRM Temp)

When it comes to AIO, what is the current best one that I could buy for this CPU. I can't work with custom Watercooling cus I can't order such thing in my country.

Menthol
Level 14
Any AIO is borderline for a 7980XE but the larger radiator the better, 360 will only be slightly better than a 280, is the AIO new or used if used how old as the pumps get weaker as they get older, best AIO is probably EK
1.35 volts is way to much for an AIO and more than should be needed for that clock and probably why it is rebooting - pulling to much current causing high heat and motherboard over current, or over heating protection circuit kicking in to protect CPU and motherboard from damage
Test first with memory at default (auto), no XMP, enabling XMP may change bios settings that you don't see, first get CPU stable then memory
4.2 ghz @ 1.087 to 1.100 volts max, AVX offset -3 AVX 512 offset -5, cpu input @ 1.8 volts, LLC 5 or 6, svid - auto

Menthol wrote:
Any AIO is borderline for a 7980XE but the larger radiator the better, 360 will only be slightly better than a 280, is the AIO new or used if used how old as the pumps get weaker as they get older, best AIO is probably EK
1.35 volts is way to much for an AIO and more than should be needed for that clock and probably why it is rebooting - pulling to much current causing high heat and motherboard over current, or over heating protection circuit kicking in to protect CPU and motherboard from damage
Test first with memory at default (auto), no XMP, enabling XMP may change bios settings that you don't see, first get CPU stable then memory
4.2 ghz @ 1.087 to 1.100 volts max, AVX offset -3 AVX 512 offset -5, cpu input @ 1.8 volts, LLC 5 or 6, svid - auto

Thanks, going to try that now. I'm just scared I got bad CPU that can't go over 4ghz 😕

Anyway will Kraken x62 help a bit as terms of upgrade for cooling and overclocking ?

Menthol
Level 14
Most AIO reviews I have read show 280 rad size almost equal to 360, sometimes better depending on fans used

Is your CPU delidded? If not delidded , you may not reach 4.2, a delidded CPU can run 10 to 20c cooler

Silicon Lottery delidded and binned , may need a little bit more voltage for non delidded CPU's

Silencer
Level 7
Funny man, thanks this worked (You are my savior). And I guess because I never use AVX and AVX 512, they were on auto + All core synced to 4.2ghz
I guess this may be the reason why my PC rebooted ? CPU was running stable and not over 60c with ur settings, still vcore was on 1.100 and I didn't use XMP, memory was on auto.

Going to try 4.4ghz I wonder can I reach that . If it works will see what going to happen with XMP enabled.

By the way, no my CPU is not delidded, I don't want to lose warrenty, and I really don't have balls todo that first time on 7980xe 😄

Yeah I notice tho that 280 radiators are better somehow then 360, kind a odd, but I guess better and newer pump could help me a lot then the AIO cooler made in 2014 (pump is running at 1450 RPM), while kraken x62 goes from 1600-2600.

Menthol
Level 14
I just replaced a 2 year old H115i on my 8700K, pump speed reading was good but temps were 10c higher than last year so I think the pump was just wearing out

Silencer
Level 7
Hey what about CPU Cache Core ? Should I leave that on auto or same as CPU Vcore ?