cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I7 8700k Maximus X hero - Trouble OC'ing after updating to Bios 2102

Exalanoto
Level 7
Hello.

After updating my bios from 0802 to 2102 on my X hero, my pc refuses to go 4.7ghz on all cores without overheating.

I tried punching in my old settings, and it would instant go 100c on Aida64, where it before would run stable 60c's

My setup is i7 8700k, Maximus X hero, Gskill 3600mhz, 1080ti.

Some help would be apreciated, i havent touched this rig since it was built since it has been running stable since my last tweak. ( i regret updating my bios) 😄
6 REPLIES 6

Exalanoto
Level 7
I reapplied my thermal paste, i loaded only xmp mode, wich limits me to 4.3 ghz max. I dissabled asus multicore enhancements. I checked all voltages, i manually set my cpu voltage to 1.23, vccio/vccsa to 1.20. Still when running aida 64, it goes to 103c. My rig idles at 35/40c and my cooler is h115i. its so strange...

Exalanoto wrote:
I reapplied my thermal paste, i loaded only xmp mode, wich limits me to 4.3 ghz max. I dissabled asus multicore enhancements. I checked all voltages, i manually set my cpu voltage to 1.23, vccio/vccsa to 1.20. Still when running aida 64, it goes to 103c. My rig idles at 35/40c and my cooler is h115i. its so strange...

Hello,

So You set CPU voltage to 1.23, while it's on auto on screenshots, or pics were made before manual change?

What's Your Vcore reading in HWiNFO or CPU-Z under stress?

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Kindly provide Bios pics of your config.

data data data !

thx in advance

rgds
Carlyle

Exalanoto
Level 7
Well, i forgot how horrible this forum is for uploading photos, i dont know if they will show as attachments. Also, i took my bios to 2003, wich is the previous one. Same resaults there.. Here is pictures of current bios setup

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Thanks. Before going into specific settings:

You mentioned having the same problem with the same settings with 2 different Bios versions...
Go back to the time you first encountered the issue and try to think of something you may have not thought of the first time around.

As to your inquiry:

Homemade remedies against weird behaviour include:

- clear CMOS for 3 sec and try again. (Even after a fresh Bios flash kindly try it)
- changeing the auto settings... one by one "they" advise 😉

Settings that generate heat:

try:
Vcore 1.05-1.25 for testing. Anything below 1.42 for overclocks is save. I never go over 1.35
VCCIO 1.175
SystemAgent voltage 1.15

LLC if used on the higher levels generates heat, which auto is not set for btw.

This setting you would change to find out what you really need for an semi-stable overclock to maybe become stable.
It is an overclockers friend.
If needed (you don't right now):
Start with 2 and test to 5 if you need/like.
6 to stabilize an overclock if you cant do it without.

Now i personally had your board and i would change a lot of auto settings to take over control , so to speak.
But in the end man it is up to you.

Do you want to simply go back where you have been: Check the mechanical side from a different point of view again.
The rise of that much heat is hard to blame on an bios upgrade, IF you truly have set anything the same before and after.
But then again that much auto settings leave a lot of room for the unexpected.

Do you want to understand what generates heat and how to choose the best low-heat settings: Ask about "adaptive settings".
I would even have pics for a low heat 5.0 Ghz Bios setting on air for that.

good luck and at least for me: good night.

Exalanoto
Level 7
So, i made the mistake of not taking full control. My cpu was infact overshooting to 1.40volt and . when i set my DC voltage and the other thingy to 0.01 and changed my setting to adaptive mode and best case scenario, it now gives me 1.23 volts vcore on turbo boost. Also, on top of that i had bought a tube of Noctua a year ago, wich was aparently bad. My re applying of paste was ofc not working so well eighter with bad paste. After buying a fresh tube of noctua, my idle temp is now 28c, and browsing temp is arround 35. Aida 64 shows a max of 80c on 4.9ghz with 2 avx offsett. I never encountered paste go bad that fast, i used 4 year old paste before wich was fine. Anyhow, now i rly have issues again, like when the build was fresh. Having bsods and restarts, wich i recon has something to do with my imc voltages. I didnt run any prime 95's yet, but aida was stable for 2 hours. Running PUBG for 15 minutes gave me a bsod, i tweaked my vccio a bit and it ran for 30 min. Now its back to the hairpulling, im going bald in the next few days . i think i will reinst 2102 bios again, apply the settings i am running right now, and i guess just start over with tuning my ram. It is just kind of wierd that my paste goes bad on my cooler arround the same days i choose to update my bios. Btw, can having too high vccio and vssa voltages cause instability aswell? im running arround 1.23000 something on both atm. I had this exact same issue when i first built this rig, and it took me 1 month to make it stable, it even passed prime 95, and other stresstests over 3-5 days of constant running, but when gaming it gave me allot of issues.

EDit : Yes I forgot to set my DC/A.C line to 0.01 when i tried my old settings, i totally missed that part. And i also tried the old settings to see if i would still get BSOD in games, and i still do. So my fears before updating Bios became true.