cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I7 8700k & Asus multicore enhancement

Rise11
Level 7
Hello there

I have an i7 8700k and an Asus maximus x hero motherbord. I have a question regarding the asus multicore enhancement which I found in the uefi bios. Is this setting safe for the processor? I usually don't overclock (this option is kind of overclocking right?!) and I don't want to decrease the lifespan of my CPU...

Temperature should not be a problem as I have an Noctua nh-d15s. (+- 50 degrees). Voltage is at about 1.25 - 1.3 voltage.

Thank you and regards
3 REPLIES 3

Exalanoto
Level 7
Rise11 wrote:
Hello there

I have an i7 8700k and an Asus maximus x hero motherbord. I have a question regarding the asus multicore enhancement which I found in the uefi bios. Is this setting safe for the processor? I usually don't overclock (this option is kind of overclocking right?!) and I don't want to decrease the lifespan of my CPU...

Temperature should not be a problem as I have an Noctua nh-d15s. (+- 50 degrees). Voltage is at about 1.25 - 1.3 voltage.

Thank you and regards

Iff its safe, that depends on youre cooling. I allways dissabled that function, and manually set my voltages as it tends to run allot cooler when doing things manually. Also, Intel turbo boost will boost youre cpu to overclock wich is 4.7ghz. (This is also on by stock settings)

Okay thank you for your reply. Apart from the cooling - the higher voltage is not harmful for the CPU?

MCE and the intel turbo boost are not the same right? From my understanding MCE will boost all cores to 4.7 ghz and intel turbo boost only the one who are needed?

quark54
Level 8
Rise11 wrote:
Hello there

Thank you and regards

Ordinarily, Intel Turbo overclocks one of the cores to 4.7 and the rest somewhat less. Asus MCE overclocks all of the cores to the max Turbo frequency of 4.7. Asus auto rules will then assign an increased voltage that works for all chips, even the bad ones. So yes, temp will increase somewhat.

The NH-D15S is an exceptional cooler, I know, I have one. I wouldn't expect it to have any issue in this regard at all. Your temps should be fine. Why don't you try it and find out?

There wont be any issues with the lifespan of your CPU with such a small overclock. CPU lifespan is measured in thousands of hours, and any additional degradation as a result of MCE will be minuscule if any. Asus aren't daft, MCE wouldn't exist if it was an issue.

Re voltage, Asus auto rules will ensure that the volatge set is within safe limits. Don't worry. 🙂