cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 4790K - Difference in Core and Package around 10c - Please Help

cyber_flame
Level 7
So I go Asus Maximus VII Hero and to run i7 4790k with some OC. However, facing some problem.

NO OC, BIOS at Default

CPU CORE RATIO Set to ---------- "AUTO"
Cores Temp ----------------------------30c
Package Temp Vary ---------------- 34c - 35c
Vcore Voltage Auto ---------------- 1.248v

While in Stress not crossing 76c at 100% Load (See Pic of Corsair Link with "AUTO" Setting in BIOS) No Load at all
But cannot reached to 4.4Ghz Turbo Boost

CPU CORE RATIO Set to ---------- "Sync to All Cores"
Cores Temp ----------------------------29c - 30c
Package Temp Constant on ----- 41c-42 (Even at 1% Load)
Vcore Voltage Auto ---------------- 1.318v

While in Stress reached 100c at 100% Load and Crashed (See Pic of Corsair Link with "Sync to All Cores" Setting in BIOS) No Load at all
Reached to 4.4Ghz Turbo Boost but Crashed. Lower down the Vcore to 1.184v, 1.2v, 1.224v but nothing worked

Please note that Earlier I was using Gigabyte H97-D3H and Gigabyte B85m D3H and Stable OC 4.6Ghz with 1.224v. Very Stable but change to ASUS to get little Higher with Processor.

Please help me out to resolve this issue.
6 REPLIES 6

georgeclintonfa
Level 7
Haswell (haswell refresh) processors have integrated VR , so it's common for cpu package temperature to exceed cpu core temperatures, because package temp is the whole chip which includes integrated VR. I've found that the temperature of VRM usualy hoover around 50C, so if your cores are at 30's then 40 is reasonable for cpu package temp.

georgeclintonfan wrote:
Haswell (haswell refresh) processors have integrated VR , so it's common for cpu package temperature to exceed cpu core temperatures, because package temp is the whole chip which includes integrated VR. I've found that the temperature of VRM usualy hoover around 50C, so if your cores are at 30's then 40 is reasonable for cpu package temp.

Just fixed this by Enable CStates Pacakge to C7s. Now its down.

cyber_flame wrote:
Just fixed this by Enable CStates Pacakge to C7s. Now its down.

I would mess with the input voltages. I had stability issues also with mine but part of that was a bios upgrade.

I did my min and max input voltage to 1.85v and 1.91v (eventual). Helped a ton with stability and temps.

Also there is a trick for long duration power limit etc which affects only boosting the cache cores. I'd suggest finding a good medium that works for you.

Delidded 4790K and a Maximus Hero VII board with 3503 bios , liquid metal TIM and its down to 65-68c temps, 68 on hottest core. Aidax64 in a 24 hour run.

4.8ghz and 4.6ghz cache @ 1.346v.

Owneth wrote:
I would mess with the input voltages. I had stability issues also with mine but part of that was a bios upgrade.

I did my min and max input voltage to 1.85v and 1.91v (eventual). Helped a ton with stability and temps.

Also there is a trick for long duration power limit etc which affects only boosting the cache cores. I'd suggest finding a good medium that works for you.

Delidded 4790K and a Maximus Hero VII board with 3503 bios , liquid metal TIM and its down to 65-68c temps, 68 on hottest core. Aidax64 in a 24 hour run.

4.8ghz and 4.6ghz cache @ 1.346v.

Thanks owneth. Currently I only set 1.224v for 4.6Ghz (rest all voltages on Auto) and change many settings in BIOS to get it stable. So in heavy CPU Intensive games like AC Origins and NFS Payback, Temp not vary between 59c 64c even at 100% Load on Processor. I checked about load and Temp with HWinfo (was Running in Back ground) while gaming and was exactly same as shown in-game by MSI Afterburner. So games are pretty set.

But when I try to bench with CPU-Z, its directly jump from 29c to 72c and reach to 75c. However, when I try to bench with Cinebench then within 2 - 3 seconds reaches to 83c and then 90c and BSOD. Result is same on Realbench.

Can you send me the pic of your BIOS settings, so I may check what is causing the Heatup problem.

I am using Corsair H100i V2 Liquid Cooler (bought in February 2018) and I think there is no issue of Cooler because if there is issue, it can't be good in-game too. Last time I benched with CPU-Z on H97-D3H Motherboard in March 2018. Check link below

http://valid.x86.fr/qq7vk7

Also successfully passed Cinebench with 914 Points and passed all test of Realbench as well as passed Intel Xtreme Untility Bench and Stress

BUT Now after switching to Asus, can't Bench with Cinebench, 3Dmark and Realbench, no matter what voltage I set, all give BSOD because processor heatup in seconds.

Please help me out to get rid of this Situation.

Thanks in advance.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Yeah cpu package can be 4c-8c hotter
C-states never made a difference I've ever noticed.
If you look at hwinfo it will show two cpu package temps I usually go by the highest.
There is also cpu (PECI) lol just to throw another one in the vcore temp loop but probably the most accurate :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Yeah cpu package can be 4c-8c hotter
C-states never made a difference I've ever noticed.
If you look at hwinfo it will show two cpu package temps I usually go by the highest.
There is also cpu (PECI) lol just to throw another one in the vcore temp loop but probably the most accurate :cool:

I fixed that by enabling C-State and Package to C7s.

Now the main problem is CPU Heating up too much while bench or stress. need some decent bios settings to lower the temp as this processor was working fine on H97-D3H but on Asus motherboard, facing heatup problem. Seems something is not right.